Can you apply IRM (RMS) to a Group document library?

Bronze Contributor

It appears you cannot apply IRM to  the SharePoint document library where Groups stores its files. Normally you would see an option to manage IRM settings, but it is not showing up. Is this supposed to work?

5 Replies
I have just verified that I can apply IRM in the doc. library of an existing group: are you sure you have properly configured IRM in your tenant?

I narrowed the problem down to only document libraries that were created when an Office 365 Group was created by Microsoft Teams.

So to reprodue the issue, create a new Team within teams.microsoft.com, which will create a new Office 365 Group, which will then create a SharePoint team site and Document Library.

Then you'll find that the IRM settings are not available for that Document Library.

Interesting...it seems to be a bug...I would recomend you to post this in the Teams space here in the Tech Community

Yup, there's a lot of functionality missing for Groups/Sites created via the Teams endpoint. Don't you just love it when we have a dozen variations of something backed up by the same technology at the backend? :)

Yeap :) we really love to discover weird behaviors ^-^