Calendar permissions on Office 365 groups?

Copper Contributor

Hi,

I'm currently evaluating switching to groups for a K12-school. But as I can't have students adding and removing bookings from the group calendar, I'm looking for a way to set read-only permissions. I've seen some reference to using the set-unifiedgroup cmdlet and changing CalendarMemberReadOnly, but I can't get it to work. calenderreadonly.PNG

And if I use get-unifiedgroup, the line is empty.

getunified.PNG

Am I missing something or is there another way?

30 Replies

Hi there

I'm not 100% convinced yet.  Just doing some testing.

I had exactly the same.  WARNING: The command completed successfully but no settings of 'GroupName' have been modified.  I logged this with support and they came back telling me to  do the following:

Get-UnifiedGroup <primary smtp address of the group> -IncludeAllProperties |fl *cal*

I could see the CalendarMemberReadOnly attribute set to false (no empty)

I then ran the command again : set-unifiedgroup <primary smtp address of the group>

-CalendarMemberReadOnly:$true

The attribute now reports true and I have asked the users to test.

Thanks for the tip!  That seems to have done the trick for me as well.  I have some users testing now.  I'll reply to confirm after they report in.

I've done a bit of testing and it didn't seem to work. The members can still add calendar items in Outlook.

Let me know how you get on with your testing.

I'm hoping that it just takes a while to propagate the changes across the exchange online farm.

Adrian

This fixed our problem, but may not be suitable for yours.  After making this change, I have verified that you're correct and users can still create calendar events.  However, only owners can modify or delete.  That's all we wanted, but there does not seem to be a way to prevent event creation.

Slightly stranger than that.

I have confirmed that members do indeed only have read access in the portal.

However the same users connected with Outlook can still edit, create and delete.

This makes no sense at all.

Adrian - This feature was built specifically for our EDU customers who needed a way for teachers to control the calendar events and appointments from being modified by students in their classroom. Hence, it was first implemented in OWA with the goal of understanding how it would be used and then based on demand bring it to other endpoints including Outlook 2016. Let us know the use case for how you are planning to utilize this functionality in your organization and we can ensure it gets prioritized accordingly in Outlook 2016. 

Thanks,

Krish

Hi there, 

Happy to chat about this if you want to give me a call.

In most schools there will be a few people who write entries to the whole school calendar and the vast majority of teachers and support staff will be read only.

Its that simple.   Some might allow teachers to add events that then go through some for of approval process but in general its quite simple.

They will want the same permissions irrespective of OWA/Outlook etc.

Getting tired of Microsoft pushing half baked solutions. Here is a use case: We have an office with Attorney's and Paralegals and other staff. We need only the attorney's to be able to modify in a group called Statutes, but the other members of the group should be able to see the calendar. It's a standard shared mailbox/calendar setup, my hope was the new Office 365 group might make a good alternative to a shared mailbox setup, but maybe it's not the best option. For something like sharing a calendar, there are way too many options and all of them have caveats and drawbacks.

Agreed. One organization I'm working with wants to have a master calendar with important dates that everyone can read, but only want some people be able to add and edit. They also need to be able to reserve resources in this calendar so that they don't accidentally double book some venues or equipment.

Right now the only way to have a calendar with fine-grained permissions is in SharePoint, but SharePoint online no longer supports calendars with resources! Argh!

So now I get to go back to them with "well, you can either have a calendar that anyone can jack up but has all the features, or you can use a calendar that has the permission structure you want but is lacking the features".

Hi,

When user tried to modify O365 Group calendar from OWA, it does work fine.

But whenever user try to modify/open/edit O365 Group calendar is says "you don't have permission".

Please help what could be the issue and how to resolve this, also find screenshot for the issue.

@null null It's 2019 I can't get a proper shared out of office calendar from microsoft office365... 

Groups is junk!! Shared permissions??

Can't add groups or calendars to phones without installing outlook apps everywhere..