Calendar permissions on Office 365 groups?

Copper Contributor

Hi,

I'm currently evaluating switching to groups for a K12-school. But as I can't have students adding and removing bookings from the group calendar, I'm looking for a way to set read-only permissions. I've seen some reference to using the set-unifiedgroup cmdlet and changing CalendarMemberReadOnly, but I can't get it to work. calenderreadonly.PNG

And if I use get-unifiedgroup, the line is empty.

getunified.PNG

Am I missing something or is there another way?

30 Replies

Have you already tried -CalendarMemberReadOnly $true ?

@Salvatore Biscari wrote:

Have you already tried -CalendarMemberReadOnly $true ?

Yes I have, it make no difference. According to the Set-UnifiedGroup technet-page it should be without $true, "To set read-only Calendar permissions, use the CalendarMemberReadOnly switch without a value."

I don't think I've ever seen this one actually working. @Christophe Fiessinger can you clear things up please?

Hi, we are investigating this internally, I will post an update as soon as we identify what's happening here.

Thanks Krish.

Anything new regarding this issue?

"CalendarMemberReadOnly" Functional description:
This functionality was built for education, where in a classroom students do not have the ability to move events or appointments that a teacher adds in the group. Any member can still create a meeting event and send to the group, however they cannot add an appointment in the group calendar or edit any existing meetings or appointments added by their teachers. Currently this feature works only in Outlook for Web (OWA) which is the prominent app that is used in education, especially by students.

To set this property, run this command - 
Set-UnifiedGroup <group_smtpaddress> -CalendarMemberReadOnly:<$true/$false>

To view whether this property is properly set, use this command -
Get-UnifiedGroup <group_smtpaddress> -IncludeAllProperties | fl *calendar*

Please let us know the use cases you would like to have this functionality for, and the clients you would like to have it, so it will help us prioritize future developments on this better. 

@Krish Gali wrote:

"CalendarMemberReadOnly" Functional description:
This functionality was built for education, where in a classroom students do not have the ability to move events or appointments that a teacher adds in the group. Any member can still create a meeting event and send to the group, however they cannot add an appointment in the group calendar or edit any existing meetings or appointments added by their teachers. Currently this feature works only in Outlook for Web (OWA) which is the prominent app that is used in education, especially by students.

To set this property, run this command - 
Set-UnifiedGroup <group_smtpaddress> -CalendarMemberReadOnly:<$true/$false>

To view whether this property is properly set, use this command -
Get-UnifiedGroup <group_smtpaddress> -IncludeAllProperties | fl *calendar*

Please let us know the use cases you would like to have this functionality for, and the clients you would like to have it, so it will help us prioritize future developments on this better. 

The problem is that I can't get the commands to work. I might be doing something wrong, but all I'm doing is connecting to Exhange online (using https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj984289(v=exchg.160).aspx as a guide). But neither of the above commands work for me.

o365.JPG

The same thing happens on my side: there are no changes when i run  Set-UnifiedGroup <group_smtpaddress> -CalendarMemberReadOnly:$true

As for Get-UnifiedGroup <group_smtpaddress> -IncludeAllProperties | fl *calendar*, remove the -IncludeAllProperties part and will work. 

IncludeAllProperties is being opened up to tenant admins, but may not be available to customers yet. I will post an update as soon as this gets available. 

If you remove Include all, and run these commands, are you able to see the change in OWA? Members will not be able to change or add appointments in the group calendar in OWA. 

Hi Daniel, This feature only works in OWA. Did you test this in OWA after running the "set" command?

Hi Krish, i checked, no changes to permissions, users can still modify existing appointments. 

Hi Daniel, Can you send me a mail at krish.gali@microsoft.com with your tenant and the group details so we can investigate what might be happening here?
Thanks,
Krish
Anders - Can you also send me a mail at krish.gali@microsoft.com if you continue to see that this feature doesn't work in your environment with your tenant and group details.
I would love to have this functionality for my teachers calender in our school. It would be very useful, to have to possibility to assign different "roles" for a group calender I know, that this can be achieved within SharePoint, but as I want to keep it simply, this feature would be very useful... Many greetings. Kurt

I also need to have the ability to set this field, just was asked if Members could have read only and supervisors/Owners could edit the calendar.

Tried running this:

Set-UnifiedGroup group.name@wgu.edu -CalendarMemberReadOnly:$true

And getting this error:

WARNING: The command completed successfully but no settings of 'group.name_asdfasfd6b6' have been modified.

Get-UnifiedGroup group.name@wgu.edu | fl calendar*

CalendarMemberReadOnly :  (blank)
CalendarUrl :  (blank)

Hi Casey,
I sent a mail to you last week on this and wanted to check if you were able to test the calendar and it functions as expected. The warning you saw while running the commandlet is wrong, and we are fixing that. We checked your group and it had the parameter set properly, so this group calendar should be read only for its members in Outlook on the web. Let me know.
Thanks,
Krish

Krish,

Yes- the permissions for the group in question are working as intended- Members can only read the calendar while Owners can add/edit items. Thank you!

Part of my confusion was that I didn't read the details of the Set-UnifiedGroup "CalendarMemberReadOnly" details closely enough:
The CalendarMemberReadOnly switch specifies whether to set read-only Calendar permissions to the Office 365 Group for members of the group.

• To set read-only Calendar permissions, use the CalendarMemberReadOnly switch without a value.

• To remove read-only Calendar permissions, use this exact syntax: -CalendarMemberReadOnly:$false.

Totally missed the Blank = feature is enabled bit, was expecting to see a True in there.

Thanks for your help!

Krish,

Our organization is having this issue as well.  We run the command as follows:

Set-UnifiedGroup <Group> -CalendarMemberReadOnly

The result is always "WARNING: The command completed successfully but no settings of 'ITTestSite' have been modified."

We then verify the result using the following:

Get-UnifiedGroup <Group> | fl *calendar*

The property "CalendarMemberReadOnly" returns with no value.  We have verified that all members are still able to delete and modify calendar items.  Can you provide any insight?