Announcing Office 365 Groups + Team Sites integration!

Former Employee

Today, we announced the integration of Office 365 Groups and Team Sites. When you create an Office 365 Group, you get a shared inbox, calendar, OneNote notebook, a Planner for task management—and now, a full-powered SharePoint team site.

The integration of O365 Groups and SharePoint team sites means that any time a new team site is created, a new group membership will be created as well. You can easily see the members of the site, if the site is listed as public or private within your organization and how it has been classified. In addition, all existing Office 365 Groups will be updated with their own team site. And once the rollout is complete for your tenant, all newly created groups will get a team site by default.

Get the complete details in this post and learn more during the O365 Groups sessions at Ignite.

@Mark Kashman @Christophe Fiessinger 

52 Replies

The concern with this is permissions. Curently our exiting team sites are based largley on AD security groups to determine access levels.

For the same effect with Group memberships would we not need dynamic groups, which is an Azure AD premium feature we don't have? 

The ability to control permissions on the Group SharePoint site separate from the Group membership will still be available.  

At Ignite I think I saw a demo where you can opt out of  the Group part when you add a Team site.

Mid Oct. and I haven't seen it in my tenant yet, just wondering, has anyone seen the update?
No news...roll out seems to be a little bit slow :-)...be patiente

I came back from vacation today and saw that in my Group view (in OWA) that I now have "Site" as a link.  But when I click on it - it still only goes to the Files/Document Library - with no option to see the rest of the Site - like a Home page.  See my pics attached.

Thoughts?  What am I missing?

Jill

Jill, you missed nothing, same is with me - all such links forward on Group OneDrive. I guess the deployment is still "in progress"

I can confirm I have at least 1 Group now in which the "site" link takes you to the proper modern site landing page (home.aspx).  In most other Groups I checked, the "site" link is taking me directly to the SharePoint document library but the full team site experience is available using left nav, site settings, etc.  So overall I still see things as being deployed in my primary FR tenant. 

When we first received modern pages for Groups it took a day or so and then the Home page links worked for all groups.

We've got the groups/sites integration, as well as modern pages.

Took a workday or so to fully work. For most groups I had to manually click "Home" once to redirect the "Site" link from files to home.aspx.

Worked for most of my groups. One is just redirecting again and again to the documents library - will wait few days.

But one group is acting up when I navigate to "Home"

Sorry, something went wrong

Invalid group id or group alias.

Interestingly enough a SITE linked showed up in my tennant to my o365 groups yesterday and the day before.  TOday that link is gone from all my groups.

Is there a bona fide way/method to determine when this has actually hit my tenant?

Do you know if there is an ETA yet? With unlimited space for each one drive employee who could then share out folders it would be nice to have more space not owned by an employee.