Home

I am upgrading from Office 2007 to 2016.

Highlighted
sarina
Occasional Visitor

I am upgrading from Office 2007 to 2016.  My directions say to delete old version first.  How can I do this and still keep my old emails from Outlook 2007?  Thank you in advance for any advise.  

2 Replies
Hi Sarina,

It depends on what email service you are using within Office 2007. Do you know if you are using Exchange on-prem? Exchange online? Or a POP or IMAP account?

If the emails are stored on the computer, you should export them to a PST. this article should help: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Export-or-backup-email-contacts-and-calendar-to-an-Outlook-.... Since you are using such an old version of Office, my guess is this is the setup you have.

If the emails are stored on a server, you can just log into the new version of Outlook with your username and password and they will download again.
Sarina, if you are downloading 2016 I suggest you get Microsoft support to assist you and they can do it so that you keep your old 2007 and get your new 2016 set up correctly. All you will need is your product ID. If you are loading from CDs or thumb drive, etc. I suggest you also contact Microsoft support to get directions about HOW to do what you are attempting because if anything goes wrong, they will be able to restore your product, etc. It saved my life after Windows 10 Prof. wiped out my 2007 Prof from my PC..