using teams for incoming support phone-calls

Copper Contributor

For our support desk, we currently use a software phone that integrates with the helpdesk software we use but it's expensive given how few calls we get.

Has anyone setup their helpdesk telephone number to call a group in Teams instead, how has it worked out and how does the pricing work? I know that as we are on E3 pricing for office 365 we need to buy an add-on (presumably per person) and then find a provider for "direct-routing"  the incoming calls (which is where pricing gets very confusing as we have a few incoming numbers distributed around the globe/business-area)

I am hesitant to initially speak to telecoms company as they are a little "full-on" and I'd like some facts first!

I have tried research online but telecoms company seem eager to get you to talk to sales rather than give you the info!

3 Replies
Assuming each user needed to be able to dial outbound, you would need:

Phone system add on for each user
Calling plan for each user (a bundle of minutes, basically)

You would then need to either port the relevant phone numbers to Microsoft (user numbers to subscriber numbers and the helpdesk number as a 'service number'

Finally, you would configure Teams auto attendant and /or call queues as appropriate.

As an alternative, you could work with a partner offering Direct Routing - so you would only need the phone system license (I think), not the calling plans.

@Rob Ellis The phone numbers are really just for the low-volume of call we have of people chasing tickets, so we just need to find a friendly telecoms company that does direct-routing and clear-pricing.

Correct - and there are an ever increasing number of organisations offering direct routing - depending on your location.