Home

"Microsoft Teams is ready for your organization"

Adrian Pratt
Occasional Contributor

Over on Reddit, someone mentioned that they got in there tenant, a message that Microsoft will be upgrading them from Skype to Teams in early December.

Published On : November 6, 2018
Action required by December 6, 2018

Microsoft Teams now provides the same presence, chat, voice, video and meetings capabilities as Skype for Business as part of Office 365. Teams is the new communications client in Office 365 replacing Skype for Business over time. Microsoft is committed to supporting your organization’s upgrade to Teams. To make the process as easy as possible, Microsoft will automatically upgrade your users to Teams on Thursday, December 6, 2018.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Office365/comments/9us0zy/microsoft_teams_is_ready_for_your_organization/

Is this something that is being rolled out to all? I've not received this message, should I expect it soon?

Adrian

18 Replies
This is probabaly for very small with low use tenants but I would expect it to come at some point down the road. But I haven’t heard of anyone being forced.

Hello

I'm having this feedback at this time:

I started receiving those messages through Message Center:

2018-11-14_18-54-23.png

By the way the first message seems to have a recommendation about contacting Microsoft Support if your organization is not ready for Teams Upgrade

2018-11-14_18-58-13.png

Last but not least it appears that today (the last day before the Upgrade) a new button "Postponed upgrade" in Teams Admin center dashboard.

For the record I tried it, and i got no warning or confirmation and result is this message :

2018-11-14_17-59-53.png

I will update my journey in this thread to share my experience if it can helps anyone :) 

@Chris Webb : i confirm that the tenant facing this situation is very small with low use, but I feel this  is a nice situation to have, for understand and share the process ;)

Always daily checked the Message Center ;) 

Thanks for sharing this detail with the community, I've put together a quick blog summary here, welcome any feedback

http://tomtalks.uk/2018/11/microsoft-automatically-upgrading-some-small-office-365-tenants-from-skyp...

Tom

Update 11/21 : after 1 week : no update on Message Center, no email notification, no change on Teams&sfb Admin center

if any MSFT internal or MVP knows : is there any possibility to un-postponed the Teams Upgrade ?

You can upgrade at any point by setting your upgrade policy to Teams Only for your tenant.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/setting-your-coexistence-and-upgrade-settings

Not possible on the tenant : it seems some Coexistence mode are missing ? 

For record : Coexistence mode switch to "blank" when i got message "Microsoft Teams is ready for your organization" through message center.

no possibility to switch again 2018-11-21_17-52-49.png2018-11-21_17-54-52.png

Highlighted
It's like that for everyone, they for whatever reason removed the function from admin center and haven't put it back. I have a blog on how you can still upgrdae to Teams Only mode via powershell if you like.

https://webbtech365.blogspot.com/2018/08/cannot-set-users-or-tenant-to-teams.html

Many thanks i'll try the PowerShell way to see the result in this situation ;)

strange but unfortunately even PowerShell seems not able to change this "status mode"

by the way this status "postpone" is visible in PowerShell :

I open a thread on Teams AMA today : maybe i'll get lucky with an official answer on this situation ;)

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Microsoft-Teams-AMA/Skype-to-Teams-migration-quot-postpone-qu...

postpone_status.png

Update : 30 Days after "postpone" :
> no change or message in "MessageCenter"
> no change or update on Teams Admin Center

Any chance to know or determine how many days is hiding behind the sentence "We will send you a new date to restart the upgrade" ?

I too would like some clarity on this.

Hi, as far as I understand you can manually migrate to Teams at any time, even though your tenant is part of an automatic migration. Today, you can only go to teamsonly via PowerShell, GUI choice will come soon. Which PowerShell commands did you use? These should get you there in theory

#Check what your coexistence mode is, new tenants today are teams only, this can be changed to set coexistence mode to islands
Get-CsTeamsUpgradePolicy -Identity Global

#Check effective teams upgrade mode on all users
Get-CsOnlineUser | ft displayname, TeamsUpgradeEffectiveMode

#If you want your users to use island mode, use this to grant the policy to all uesers or selected users
Get-CsOnlineUser | Grant-CsTeamsUpgradePolicy -PolicyName Islands

#If you want your users to use teamsonly mode, use this to grant the policy to all uesers or selected users
Get-CsOnlineUser | Grant-CsTeamsUpgradePolicy -PolicyName UpgradeToTeams

Alert: We received a letter on 12/12/18 from Microsoft indicating that we would be upgraded to Teams starting on 12/17/18. If we weren't ready, we could opt out by 12/17/18. On the morning of 12/13/18 not only were we forcibly upgraded to Teams only.

@Sue_Saffle please could you raise a support request about this issue and send me the reference number, I can pass that on to the Team Product Group who are performing these changes to find out what went wrong.

@bennjimin my understanding is that the Teams Product Group have been selecting tenants carefully based on a number of measures as there shouldn't be any blockers left for them to upgrade to Teams. Anyone using features that aren't fully deployed yet aren't being selected.

There shouldn't be any concern that tenants are going to be upgraded without notification and carefully selection. It should be noted though that Team is the upgrade to Skype for Business Online, there will eventually come a time where everyone is migrated and SfBO is turned off. It's time for everyone to start thinking about when they will migrate.

Thanks for posting back, then I would recommend islands mode until your tenant gets the UpgradeToTeams choice in PowerShell or TeamsOnly in Admin center, or you are put back into the migration pool.

UPDATE happened on "postpone" situation after almost 2 month.

No notification message on Message Center

No change on "postpone" message in Teams&Skype Admin Center home page.

Sub-menu "Teams updrade" "Coexistence mode" now have new option "Teams only" option

and new option "App preferences" to chose which app is used for joining Skype for Business meetings and isn't dependent on the Coexistence mode setting.

2019-01-11_9-32-54.png2019-01-11_9-33-03.png2019-01-11_9-33-11.png

Through PowerShell, no change on "Get-CsTeamsupgradeStatus" State

2019-01-11_10-18-28.png

Related Conversations
Stock Quote - Adding user-defined fields
robrosen in Excel on
1 Replies