how do you remove the share screen bar on teams calls?

Copper Contributor

Hi everyone, 

The newest update of Teams has a pretty constant share screen bar across the screen. It goes away after 5 seconds but comes back everytime you mouse over the screen/click on anything.

I would like to push this to the sidebar or top navigation if possible, or even an expand collapse option somewhere in the navigation.

Does anyone know a workaround for this?

26 Replies
No, afaik you can’t customize this panel at all!!

I’d go to
https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/
And create a request if not already there!!

Adam

Adam

@Amanda007 please do report it on UserVoice. There's been conversations with the developers where it's suggest that it should be permanently docked at the bottom of the video.

thanks! will do!

did the bar floating in the middle of the screen ever get resolved? i am having the same problem and cannot click on stuff underneath it. @Amanda007 

I'd also love to know @jamie2400 .

If there is a resolution, that would be great - thanks!

@staceylynn The last update was from May, have we had any updates on this topic?  It is very annoying having this bar constantly popup and cannot move to another area on the screen.

@Howie2220 - nothing yet. I've heard that we should have the ability to lock (or dock) the bar soon, just not sure when. Patiently waiting for Microsoft to implement that gem! Take care!

The taskbar auto hides when you move the mouse outside of the sharing screen for a while. There’s a catch though: the second you move the mouse, the taskbar reappears.

On top of that, when using third party screenshot apps, you need to move your mouse back onto the window of choice before clicking to capture the screenshot. When doing this, the taskbar reappears.

Finally, Auto-hide doesn’t work adequately on multiple occasions. Users move their mouse down to the video feed or even completely outside the window, keep it still for several seconds, but the control bar sometimes remains on screen and blocks view.

@Smith_J and everyone else.

There is a feature in the product that solves this - the user can hide the bottom pane from view by click the ellipses (...) and then "Focus" which focuses on the shared content (assuming there is some). In case some people who look this thread up wonder about the videos/people at the bottom.

They moved the bar in the latest builds as well from a design perspective. Which brings it into the top header (so it doesn't float anymore) which also resolves this issue of the overlay effect of the mute/share screen bar.

Today it's still in an opt in model where users or IT would enable the new experience for Teams for users. Some orgs may want to do change management when moving to the new interface so they are trying to give options for roll out but it is live world wide today.

@Richard Harbridge wrote:

Today it's still in an opt in model where users or IT would enable the new experience for Teams for users. Some orgs may want to do change management when moving to the new interface so they are trying to give options for roll out but it is live world wide today.

Why was this shipped as an opt-in for organisations? This ensures that that only 0.001% of the MS Teams users will be able to benefit from this improvement. Almost a year later we're still struggling with this UX monstrosity. 

This should have been a simple user setting, in the same way that a user can turn off incoming video, go focus, fullscreen, ...

Hard to believe the developers thought this wad a good idea and haven't done anything to this day. Sounds like a small team stuck in an echo chamber of bs to me.
It is possibly the most annoying teams feature. It says until you pin and unpin, then wait a couple seconds for it to disappear, and it takes up more screen than what is visible. For instance, if I have to click right below the banner, it will think I am clicking the banner. Hard to believe developers passed this off as functional.

@matthewvines super annoying! I do screen shares all day long which require me to move in and out of tabs in Chrome. Every time I switch to a new tab the "Presenting" toolbar appears to the top blocking the tabs I need to click on. Why can't we just be able to move or even x out of the toolbar??

@Amanda007 

I have search through the internet and found no working solution for this. But I found a workaround. 

Usually the things hidden behind the bar will be part of an app right? So try to use the app shortcuts to navigate through them. 

As an example, it was chrome tabs for me hide the bar which I couldn't click on because of this presentation bar. So I used [Ctrl + Tab] to move up the tabs or you can also use. [ Ctrl + pageUp / pageDown ] to navigate. 

Hope this helps. 

When in multi-user meetings and viewing shared screens - the screen bar never disappears - no matter what I do with the cursor.  A huge annoyance as it covers up part of the presentation.  

I am a developer and usually when I need to share my screen is to show other developers things, like browser windows (Chrome) and other tools (VSCode) where most of the navigation is done on the top middle. I can not fathom how any developer would think that this bar, that you can not configure in the user settings and you have no way of hiding while you use the screen that you are sharing is user friendly interface! I understand that many times developer have to follow orders from above, but it's beyond me why not enough people would have raised their voice in the process of creating this "feature"! The result is just useless!

Got a new Teams update. It's labelled as new while the old Teams is present too. Unfortunately, this screen sharing notification has gotten more annoying. It does show the toolbar when you hover the mouse over but now there's a banner that doesn't go even when the cursor is somewhere else. It's so frustrating that I have to use vertical tabs to deal with it. Microsoft just loves to annoy people.

20231114_024711.jpg

@Ritwik6466 
I agree, this is annoying and frustrating.

I have not used any option on that bar in last two/three weeks.

Feel like it is "less useful" and more "intrusive" as I cant click browser tabs which are right below it.
It is unnecessarily long bar and there is no way to move it, hide it or resize it...

The users who are watching presentation dont see that bar so have no idea why presenter is struggling to click at the top part of the screen or change tabs.