exporting Teams messages with channel name

Copper Contributor

Hi,

When i run a content search for teams messages for some reason it can't find the channel name so i can't differentiate between the different channel/conversations.

I'm interested in exporting daily messages from teams to a different system for compliance purposes.

Is it possible somehow to export using exchange mailbox? or is there a way to find the channel name when exporting from content search?

Thanks in advance,

20 Replies

Hi @ofirshabtai, conversations are stored hidden in the deleted objects folder on an Exchange Online Mailbox either a user's (Chat) or a group's (Teams) mailbox. on Azure.

See also:

The channel name will be visible as part of the subject/title when you do a Preview of the eDiscovery search results. Additional metadata is stored in the message properties. See for example this article: https://www.petri.com/office-365-conversation-records-ediscovery

@Vasil Michev thank you for you response. much appreciated. 

I used to get the channel name in subject but no longer. apparently it was just in latest release and is no longer visible in the subject line. 

This leads me to find an alternative solution. 

i was hoping to access the group mailbox via ews api (or any other method) and pull all conversations. do you know if it's possible? 

@Erik365Online thank you for teh quick response. 

do you know if it's possible to access the group mailbox via ews api (or any other method) and pull all conversations? 

I just run a search against my Teams and I seem to be able to confirm this behavior. @Tony Redmond FYI

Not sure if EWS exposes those properties, or simply my skills are lacking as I wasn't able to fetch them. 

@Vasil Michev 

are you able to login with ews api (or any other method ) to the group mailbox? maybe i'll be able to extract this info from the eml file. 

@Vasil Michev Seems like the SCC team have changed the display of messages in the preview of search results to suppress the Subject field. I'll make the Teams people aware of this because obviously the display of channel/conversation information is of massive use for compliance investigators.

@ofirshabtai  I think this is just a display issue. Subject is a fundamental field and you should be able to see it when you export the information from a search and have the "real" items to play with.

I checked the latest items captured in my mailbox and they all have the necessary information in their properties, so this seems to be just a display issue. We'll see what the Teams people say.

@Erik365Online  Your assertion that conversations are stored in the deleted items folder is incorrect. Teams stores its conversations in an Azure data store and they remain there. Exchange Online (or the Office 365 substrate) captures copies of messages and stores them in the Team Chat folder under Conversation History in your mailbox. This has nothing to do with Deleted Items or Recoverable Items.

https://www.petri.com/teams-compliance-story

You can certainly access those items via EWS. What I wasn't able to do is fetch the extended properties that hold the compliance information via EWS, most likely due to my poor programming skills :)

@Vasil Michev are you able to login to your personal mailbox with ews api or the group mailbox?

i'm getting authorization error when trying to connect to group mailbox 

I can connect to the Group just fine, but I've only tried groups I'm a member of.

@Tony Redmond Thank you. 

I agree that it's a display issue and a critical one. i'm concerned about  the time frame for a fix (if it will happen at all)  

@Tony Redmond 

"they all have the necessary information in their properties" does it mean that you see the channel name?

Thanks,

Ofir

@ofirshabtai  Yes, that's the desired state.

@Tony Redmond Can you please share some information on how you're able to see the channel name in the mailbox?

@ofirshabtai You don't see the channel name in the mailbox. You see the channel name as part of the subject of the compliance items captured in the mailbox.

@Tony Redmond thank you. i'll check again although the subject is empty in our version when we connect via EWS api to the mailbox.