Home

Yammer vs Microsoft Teams

Highlighted
New Contributor

Yammer vs Microsoft Teams

My favorite applications in the Office Suite are OneNote and Delve for the way they allow collaboration and surfacing of information.  I also have been wanting to get my coworkers to jump on Yammer because I see the potential, especially after the recent integration with Office 365 Groups and SharePoint.  I know from the Office team's videos on who uses Yammer from within Microsoft, and outside of it, love it.  It just that getting people to try it remains the biggest obstacle.

My question is, what is the difference between Yammer and Microsoft Teams?  I still don't really see one.  As a matter of fact, I was kind of expecting Yammer to be folded into Microsoft Teams, or get renamed to Microsoft Teams, to get people to start using the Yammer features within Office 365.  Is there a case where using Yammer makes sense over Microsoft Teams?  I don't see it, especially because of how encompassing Microsoft Teams.  Will Yammer be discontinued at some point?

See more conversations labeled with:

5 Replies

RE: Yammer vs Microsoft Teams

you can add Yammer connector to a teams channel...

Re: Yammer vs Microsoft Teams

See my reply to a similar question above... I think the short answer is that Yammer is optimal for larger groups and company-wide transparency, and Teams is optimal for smaller teams that work more in real-time. With teams, you don't have the serendipitous discovery from an aggregated news feed. With Yammer, you don't have the bot integrations (though you could potentially build them). It's also just about styles of working. People were asking the same about Yammer vs Outlook groups.

Re: Yammer vs Microsoft Teams

This might help from the Sharegate blog:

http://en.share-gate.com/blog/micorsoft-teams-vs-yammer

RE: Yammer vs Microsoft Teams

Sharing comment from @Paul Cannon posted earlier: You may want to take the time for that (watch the webcast)- the question you ask about Yammer really is good and extends out to other core products. Yammer is a key part of our Office 365 collaboration vision to help people connect across a company and used by 85% of the Fortune 500. We continue to invest in new Yammer features, including integrations with Delve, Office Video, and Skype Meeting Broadcast. Yammer is great for cross-organizational conversations where one-to-many conversations are critical. Microsoft Teams is focused on highly interactive teams with a very specific goal or goals in mind. If you think about 1:FEW versus 1:MANY as a spectrum, I think it gets clearer.

Re: RE: Yammer vs Microsoft Teams

Thanks all for your responses. They reminded me of an article that I read where one of the airlines using Yammer was able to make changes to items on a plane in days because an executive from the marketing department saw a post from an attendant. Also, I read am interview with one of the UX designed for Microsoft Teams who spoke about the differences.
Related Conversations
Adding external users to teams
Sean Whyment  in  Microsoft Teams  on
80 Replies
Teams vs. Skype for Business
Viktor Bergman  in  Microsoft Teams  on
4 Replies
How to connect a "Team" to a "Group"
Mike Dumka  in  Microsoft Teams  on
32 Replies
Can I Email to a Team channel
Bart van der Meer  in  Microsoft Teams  on