What's required to assign a phone number to a conference room phone?

Steel Contributor

Howdy,

We have purchased some Yealink CP960 phones to go in our conference rooms.  Based on the information on this page:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/room-systems/skype-room-systems-v2

I have assigned the Conference Room account the "Meeting Room" license which shows that it comes with:
S4B Online Plan 2

Phone System

Microsoft Teams

Microsoft Intune

Audio Conferencing

We need our conference phones to be able to make phone calls  if we need to dial into a meeting somewhere but I can't seem to assign a phone number to the account.  It doesn't show up under the Voice Users in the Admin Center.

Do I need to assign it an additional license to activate it as a Voice User or what is the best way to get this to work?

Thanks!

5 Replies

@Mike Boehm 

Do you have calling plans, or do you use Direct Routing? 
I always recommend Jeff's post on the subject. This article takes you through the process: https://blog.schertz.name/2019/02/creating-microsoft-teams-rooms-accounts/  

@Mike Boehm yes you need calling plans or direct routing to assign a number and to place calls from the room. 

Hi  both , @Steven Collier & Lasse Nordvik Wedø,

I have direct routing in place but am unable to assign a number. Instead challenged with the below upon running a command 

Set-Csuser -Identity <UPN> -EnterprisevoiceEnabled $true -HostedvoiceMail $true -onpremLineURI "Te1:+44999999999"

error Cannot modify the parameter: "EnterpriseVoiceEnabled" because it is restricted for the user service plan: .
+ CategoryInfo : PermissionDenied: (Set-CsUser:String) [Set-CsUser], UnauthorizedAccessException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : UnAuthorized,Microsoft.Rtc.Management.AD.Cmdlets.SetOcsUserCmdlet
+ PSComputerName : api.interfaces.records.teams.microsoft.com

I have a Room resource account in exchange and have been able to upgrade to teams.

is there anything you could suggest?

@Om Joshi Have you assigned a license tot he room that include Microsoft Phone system ?

Hi @Steven Collier - yes, have assigned the Phone system licence and E3 licence with Teams (only) as an app. But no luck, getting this error -
Set-CsOnlineApplicationInstance -Identity <UPN> -OnpremPhoneNumber +44xxxxxxxx
The application instance does not have a valid license.