Users are not showing up when attempting to add them as member in Teams

Copper Contributor

We have been running into this issue over and over again...

When a user is trying to add new members to their Team, users names are not populating.

These users do have access to Teams. 

When someone else tries to chat those same people - or even perform the same task - those same users will populate. 

How do we fix this and why do users populate for some and not for others...?

Thanks so much!!

15 Replies
I haven't seen it happen with adding users to Teams, but I've seen it happen time and time again where people will put their cursor and type in a name in the top Command bar / Search bar in Teams to start a new chat with someone and they won't populate here. Unless you've recently chatted with a person that's the only time you will see that, and people think that's how you chat, when you really need to either use @personame in command bar or click the new chat icon.

If the users are actually in editing a team and trying to add members and they are missing there, then the only thing I can think of that it could be is information barriers being setup: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/information-barriers-in-teams

You could also have user sign out and back in to refresh cache as I guess that could possibly be causing it.

I've had this same issue. Have you figured out a way to resolve it yet? @Dunia_B 

This is still an issue as of 2020/07/17 .  I have a member who is not found when I try to add him to a team channel.  I can IM him just fine, but the lookup to add him to the proper group never finds him.

I have confirmed with the administrators that this is not an information barrier thing.

Do we have a resolution to this yet?

@courtneysfoster2160 

We attempted to add a member in a channel, Teams would say that one already exists, although the count in teams said there were 0. All team members could see message save for one, the one we attempted to add.

So, I deleted that team member from the main team, added her back and added her again into every single channel. It worked. but you have to be an owner of every single channel where you want to add the member.

@courtneysfoster2160 

Any resolution to this yet?  I have a user this morning who can see the other user in the top search, chat with them, etc, but when they try to add her to a team, she doesn't come up in the search.

@Dunia_B  Really odd. I have one use that I can add to a team, but not to a secured channel. No luck no matter what I try...

This kind of thing may happen when the different Microsoft Apps haven't synchronised. Today, I added a team member to a plan which was linked to a team that she wasn't already a member of. I then went over to Teams to add her to the corresponding team, but every time I did so it said the user was already in the team, although she wasn't present in the list of team members. I closed and re-opened Teams, and she was now appearing as a member of that team.

@mah131 

When you search for the person, is that person on the list with a different username? It is the username that you need to use when adding them

@Dunia_B 

Had this issue as well and managed to fix, the issue was a user was a leaver then came back and previous members of team did not change from shared mailbox to regular.

Which explains why they were not appearing.

To check whether they are regular to shared;

Open Exchange Management Shell as Administrator

Type the following command;

Connect-ExchangeOnline

Get-Mailbox -Identity email address removed for privacy reasons | Format-List RecipientTypeDetails

@RuiSousa Thank you for getting back to me on this

What I found was that the when you add the user with the email address, if it is an external user, Teams allocates a name. I had to find that name and then add the user to the channels using that name instead of the email address or the proper name

Appreciate your help

@Dunia_B 

This is still happening and its February 2023. None of the answers below are any help.  Anyone know a simple solution? 

Just want to add one name from a member of our Branch to a Teams channel and it is not showing up. Nothing unusual about them, they are not new to the Branch, everything else 'Teams' works with them.

@Kazbonymentions I'm seeing the same thing in Teams. 

Working through a ticket where unless cached, conference room accounts can't be brought up unless fully qualified. 

After that, I can pull them up by their display names but if I run the Teams cache cleaner, their gone. I can bring up most accounts but there are inconsistencies accounts showing up and it seems it's been years in getting a clear answer which is annoying to say the least. 

I'm going through Fiddler logs now with support to see what they can find but looking through here with years of this and not a clear answer doesn't leave me with any hopes for clarity. Why some will show up with just their display names even after clearing cache and others need to be fully qualified. Exchange is involved and replication, something!

Thank you. This worked for me.