SOLVED
Home

Uploaded documents by Guests

Ben Van de Pol
New Contributor

Uploaded documents by Guests

When a company user shares a file within a private chat, it's uploaded to that person's ODfB, when a person shares a file in a Team chat (channel) it's uploaded to the respective folder in the SharePoint library.

Now when a guest performs those actions where is the document stored for both scenario's, since a guest doesn't have a OneDrive and SharePoint license?

3 Replies
Highlighted
Solution

Re: Uploaded documents by Guests

A guest user can still upload files in a Team. Because he/she is an external user, a SharePoint license is not required. But that same guest user cannot upload files in Teams from OneDrive, because the user doesn't have a OneDrive in that tenant. So the file upload dialog shows less options:

snip_20171011142056.png

The uploaded file shows the external guest user as modified by user:

snip_20171011142127.png

Now for Chat it doesn't work that way. Since the external user indeed doesn't have a OneDrive license, the user cannot share files in a Chat. The paperclip icon just isn't there:

snip_20171011142418.png

Interestingly enough, that also works the other way around. When an internal user starts a chat with an external user, that file upload option is not available either. Kind of makes sense of course, but on the other hand you could expect a folder created in the OneDrive of the internal user starting the Chat conversation that is shared with the external user. I guess Microsoft didn't want to discriminate ;-) Or they took into account that external sharing settings for OneDrive could differ from the Team in question and that this could result in strange behaviour, makes more sense actually :-)

Hi Maarten,

Thank you for your reply. It's very helpful!
The reason I asked this question was because I thought I heard on an Ignite session that the shared files of a guest are stored in Azure BLOB storage.

That is just the stickers and memes that are used in conversations. Those are stored in a media store, which is in fact Azure storage.

Related Conversations
"Get a Link" changed to "Copy Link?" When?
Matt Coats  in  SharePoint  on
32 Replies
Added guest user keeps getting removed (automatically)
Tom Dean  in  Microsoft Teams  on
5 Replies
No tasks are showing in Planner for guest users
Conrad D  in  Microsoft Teams  on
4 Replies
Adding external users to teams
Becky Martin  in  Office 365  on
17 Replies
Guess access: stuck at switching tenant
Peter Wang  in  Microsoft Teams  on
3 Replies