Unable to chat in an established meeting - was able previously

Copper Contributor

Situation is as follows:

1. We have a recurring meeting set up in an organization A that I'm not a part of (I am from organization B). The idea is to have the collaborating people in one chat room and to participate in a call if needed.
  2. Until this week, I was able to attend the meeting in a call and participate in chat, no problems.
  3. This week, I can join the call but I cannot write in the chat. I can read the chat.
  4. What is extremely annoying, I cannot even mute the chat! Only way to get rid of constant beeping is to set the whole Teams to DND mode. 
  5. The chat window input field says "You can't send messages because you are not a member of the chat."
  6. One other colleague from organization B has the same problem, however another colleague from organization B does not have this problem.
  7. It is not dependent on a particular Teams installation, same behavior is on my Mac, web client or iOS client.

Any ideas what to do with this? I have found only one other issue description with the same message in the input window field, but that is not applicable to our problem. I don't even have a clue where to look.

11 Replies
Usually when this happens you are I. Your home tenant when joining the meeting link vs being switched to org B then joining the meeting.

This assumes you are a guest of org B thou. I always make sure to switch to the hosting tenant of meeting then accept invite.

@Chris Webb I can confirm that I am experiencing the same issues.

@petr_lohnicky you can switch to the Org B Tenant by clicking on the drop-down menu displayed in the upper right part of your teams client. Currently, it should display your company name.

@svenseidenberg @Chris Webb 

Thanks for your inputs. I'm trying to locate the "tennant switch" button in the upper right corner, but I see there only my avatar with possible status change, settings etc. I don't see my company name anywhere. 

Maybe the Mac version of the client has a slightly different layout, nevertheless, I can't find the option anywhere.

@petr_lohnicky it seems I have the same problem. I am part of two organizations. Apparently the second organization has put the same email address on the second account to be the same as my original. Thus when they make meeting invites, I can join. But I will NOT get the organization switch drop down box. (I am not a guest in that organization, as my email is already in their org. Which is wrong I guess, and it seems Teams was designed for one email - one tenant to own it.) 

Anyway, until a week ago, meetings with chats were working fine, but now the chat during meeting is not working anymore. If I join using the web client, it still does, but that had other problems such as my mic audio not being transmitted) 

I too am seeing this issue with chats icon not showing up in meetings.

@Chris WebbNope, I cannot switch to the hosting tenant, I am not a guest in that tenant.

Last week I had no issue, could chat in the meeting. This week, joined the meeting (same meeting URL as the week before) and cannot chat because I am "not a member of the chat"

@Chris Webb  A couple of us are experiencing the same thing. This is a standing meeting and a short while ago (possibly after an update?), two of us started experiencing the problem - the rest of the team have no issues. Some of us have Macs and other work on ThinkPads - the issues doesn't seem to be related to one vs. the other. One thing we noticed today is that for the two of us who are experiencing the problem, Teams doesn't add is to the list of people joining and leaving the meeting, so it's almost as if it's not recognizing us...but we're joining from the same meeting link that everyone else is using. I hope these details help with troubleshooting! 

We are experiencing the same thing, but it happened after the last update. Prior to this all meeting participants were able to chat.  Now, two of three external participants are unable to chat, but one is able to chat. All are from the same organization.

Can this be resolved? Would deleting and rescheduling the recurring meeting change this?

@RonLewenMy experience with this bug is that creating a new meeting will work but only for a time. The bug will simply re-emerge in recurring meetings. I have opened several calls with Microsoft for this issue and they have given me the runaround and not resolved it. I am astounded that Microsoft hasn't acknowledged or fixed the issue. It is extremely frustrating.

@aSuddenWildMagic .......So this problem only occurs in an established meeting ?

@Frank SmithAny recurring meeting. If you make a new meeting that has repeats it just happens again. I have yet to see it happen in a non-recurring meeting.