Teams telephony system experience

Copper Contributor

Hi all!

My organization is considering moving from Cisco to Teams telephony system, wanted to check if anyone has done the same change or similar and what was the experience during the migration and also, what is the opinion/differences/benefits now that you are using the Teams telephony system?

3 Replies

Hi,

To start with don't see Teams as just another PBX, it is not, it is a collaboration platform. If you start with comparing functions that you have in Cisco with Teams telephony you might see some features that you won't get in Teams but consider if you really need them. Moving telephony from an traditional PBX to Teams (or Skype for Business) should not be an 1:1 migration, it will be partly a new way of working.

As with Skype for Business you won't get all features that you maybe need in Teams, therefore you have to rely on Microsoft partners to create software for special needs. Example compliance recording of calls, call center functions or attendant applications. Currently there is no real support for these third-party applications since there is no APIs for them to use in Teams, this will come soon (early 2020 I think).

thanks @Linus Cansby , I get your point. Now we have in mind to do the change in 2 years from now, maybe at that time all those special needs might be provided by the Teams phone system, as you mentioned around 2020 and on. 

Question for you, are you using or have you test the Teams telephony system? If so, any thoughts? 

Okay, by then there will be a lot of new features. Good that you started to plan already.

Yes, I'm using it and currently it is working good. When we started with a Direct Routing connection in the start there were some minor problems. But for an end user there is no problems, all basic functions are there.

We also have some smaller customers that uses Teams telephony and they are happy, for the larger enterprise customers we have discussions with they need support for third-party applications like compliance recording and call centers so they are waiting for that before doing the big step over, but some have started to test for IT department and a few users.