Teams meetings - external users' video

Copper Contributor
We are experiencing this behavior: in a Teams Meeting, when an external participant joins the meeting (via chrome, for instance) and he/she is the first to join the meeting, his/her video is not streamed - the camara icon appears as unavailable and when mousing over the icon it indicates that "the video has been disabled by the administrator". To be able to stream the video he/she has to leave the meeting and rejoin after someone from inside of the Organization has joined.

Do you know how to fix it? We need a solution because we have lots of external meetings and this procedure causes severe difficulties in starting the meetings.
6 Replies

Hi @Ivo Fernandes, you could check the Teams meeting options/policies in the Teams Admin Center. 

You could verify who has which meeting policy and if "Allow IP video" is disable or enabled for the person. Please note the explanation and examples in the docs.

See Teams meeting policies https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/meeting-policies-in-teams and this one https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/meeting-policies-in-teams#allow-ip-video

Hi @Erik365Online, thank you very much. I’ve testes all scenarios: Bypass lobby true + allow anonymous to start meeting true and Bypass lobby true + allow anonymous to start the meeting false and the issue persist: anonymous only can share video if they join after an authenticated user had already joined... if anonymous joins first they only can stream audio...

We really need to change this behaviour. Anyone can help?

Thanks

Hi,

I made some changes and note that:

Scenario 1:

Allow anonymous people to start a meeting: True

Automatically admit people: Everyone

Anonymous people join first, when no authenticated users are present in the meeting: video streams ok

Scenario 2:

Allow anonymous people to start a meeting: False

Automatically admit people: Everyone

Anonymous people join first, when no authenticated users are present in the meeting: they wait in lobby and are automatically admitted when the first authenticated user joins the meeting, but anonymous aren't able to stream video, just audio - the camara icon appears as unavailable and when mousing over the icon it indicates that "the video has been disabled by the administrator". To be able to stream the video he/she has to leave the meeting and rejoin after someone from inside of the Organization has joined.

I think that this is not an expected behaviour... I expect that when an authenticated user joins the meeting the anonymous attendee is admitted and from there they can stream video, right?

@Ivo Fernandes I've tested my self now and can't repeat this in my tenant. The only time I can't activate the video due to "the video has been disabled by the administrator" is when I don't allow Chrome to user the web camera. If I allow Chrome to use the web camera it works in the meeting and also in the pre-meeting window were I am waiting for someone to start the meeting.

Have you tested with other browsers, like Edge, and have you tested from other computers?

Hi @Ivo Fernandes, yes, that's what I expect and experience, an authenticated (and Allowed IP video $true) user joins and than a anonymous user joins and both have a video stream. 

What happens if you test this with the Edge browser instead of Chrome?

Do you experience the same issue with another browser like Edge, too?

Hi,

I've tested with Chrome, EDGE and via mobile app (iOS) and the behaviour is allways the same: if anonymous is the first to join the meeting he/she never can stream video (even in iOS app the camera button does not appear) until go out and rejoin after an authenticated user joins.

If anonymous enters after an authenticated user he/she can chose to stream...