Teams device can't receive inbound calls from external people.

Steel Contributor

Hi,

We just got a Yealink T58A phone in and are testing it with a test conference room account in Teams.  The user is logged into the phone just fine.  The phone can make calls to internal or external people.  The phone can receive calls from internal people calling from within teams.

What doesn't work is if I dial the phone # from my cell phone.  I simply get a message that says <user> is unavailable, please leave a voice mail.

I set the user to Teams Only mode for coexistence in the admin center but that didn't seem to help (unless it takes a while to take effect).  Does anyone know if there's some other setting somewhere that would prevent external calls from coming through?  Do 'Room' accounts disable inbound calling by default or something like that?

Thanks.

5 Replies
If the user wasn't set to Teams Only and you just changed it that's the issue, it does take awhile to take hold. Up to 24 hours usually on call routing. But usually within an hour or two.

@Mike Boehm  Ditto what Chris said.....changed to "Teams Only" mode to test and that did the job and yes - it was within an hour for us.....FYI I have the same phone to test.....so far so good....but noticed meetings/voice mail not syncing properly....for example delete a vmail in Teams on computer/mobile and still on phone....unless you log out.....I'll troubleshoot further soon.  We've recently switched coexistence mode to "Teams Only" for all.....testing with a few users for the Phone System/Calling Plans...hoping to shut down the PBX at the end of the year!  Good luck with your testing!

@Tammy SchwarkIt does appear that after a bit it started getting calls so it looks like that is working.  Have you tested putting a call on hold on the T58A?  I can tap the screen to put a call on hold but the "Resume" button on the screen doesn't seem to work.  I tap it over and over but nothing happens.  I was able to use one of the hard buttons to get back to the call but don't know why the screen didn't work.

I also don't see any voicemail on the phone at all.  I called and left a test message but the VM screen just shows a welcome notice that I can listen to VMs or read the transcripts, but nothing is there.

@Mike Boehm   Hello again Mike...so I had a chance to do some tests....I had the same issue you described....with putting a call on hold.  Also I did another voice mail test and it doesn't show up on the phone although it did previously - most strange! 

Went into Teams Admin and updated the phone....last update was done in July....thought I'd start there first.  After the update the hold/resume works properly and voicemail now appears. 

With that said I am still having that issue with the sync of the voicemails.  If I delete the voicemail in Outlook or Teams it is not deleted on the phone - can actually still play it.  Even if you choose to delete the voice mail on the phone it does nothing.  The voicemail will be deleted if I log off the phone but obviously not a good solution! 

Now if I delete the voicemail on the phone first - then the change is reflected in Outlook/Teams - just not the reverse.  This has been going on for a while and again just haven't had a chance to troubleshoot.  I left the "orphaned" voice mail on the phone and if it's like it has been the last few weeks it will just stay there until I log off or restart the phone.

Let me know how it goes after you update the phone - suspect you'll see that update available in Teams Admin.  Hopefully that resolves the hold issue and voicemail now appears - if so great!  Then I'd love to know if you are experiencing those same voicemail sync issues.

I have to get a few things off my plate (aka servers!) and I'll bounce back to this and troubleshoot further and will update.....but so curious to see if you're having that same issue.  Also...same sync issue happening with Meetings!  

Your turn!  :smile:

UPDATE:  noticed approx one hour later that the voicemail was removed from the phone - a deleted Meeting still appears on the phone....

The first thing I did when I got the phone was install the latest firmware from Yealink.  That was version 58.15.0.41.  I just checked in Teams Admin and it says there's an update to 58.15.0.45.  I guess I'll try to push that out and see what happens.