Teams desktop app opens documents twice

Copper Contributor

Having an issue with the latest build of MS teams. When opening files within their respective programs (if a spreadsheet I choose "open with excel", or word document I choose "open with word". They open fine and I can make changes without issue. However, once I close the file anywhere from 15 seconds to maybe a minute after, the same file reopens itself. Seems to only happen within the teams desktop app. Tried the web app and it doesn't happen. Also tried opening directly from Sharepoint, doesn't happen there either.

Help!

25 Replies
Hi Tim,

Sounds like it’s restricted to the Desktop app as it’s not happening in Web or SharePoint.

A few questions

1.) Is Teams Desktop App updated to the latest version?
2.) Have you tried either logging out completely, or logging out completely the. clearing the cache and then logging back in
3.) Does it occur with anyone else or only you?

Let me know how it goes!

Best, Chris
Thanks for the response. Teams and office apps are on latest builds. Happens to multiple users. PC I’m testing on was a fresh image of build 1903. I can definitely try to clear the cache though.

This is happening to us today after yesterday's Teams update.  Clearing the cache did not resolve the issue.  Did you find a resolution?

@vachermc Zombie file openings for us as well. At least it only does it for a second time, and not a never ending story :)

Only way to get around it is to go to Files in Teams and open the desktop app from the . . . menu on the document, instead of clicking on the name and then using the dropdown to open in desktop app.

@Robin Nilsson That behavior exhibits no matter how we access it - even the ellipses as you suggested.

Exhibiting the same behavior with my Teams app also. I am using the latest version of Teams, just have an update a few days ago. Did not make a difference cleaning out cache, even deleted all Teams references in Credential Manager

@TimShunamon 

I'm having the same issue, different computers, cleared the cache.  Did you get any update on this?  Thanks!

@TimShunamon - thanks for raising.

Experiencing same issue here (cleared cache). Appreciate an update on this issue. Thanks.

I opened a ticket with MS and the initial tech said she'd had the same error reported earlier.  They're escalating this to the Teams and SharePoint teams.  I'll update the thread if I hear more.

I spoke to the MS tech today and he's looking at logs from my system.  I also referred him to this post so if anyone looking at this thread is also having the problem please post it/open a ticket with MS.  :)

@systemsmaven Update: I no longer have this issue.

Background: I recently replaced my laptop. I did not experience this issue with previous machine. Triggered uninstall of MS Office Enterprise/Professional replaced with O365 ProPlus on newly issued one.

I also have this issue. Same for a customer of mine.

The customer is also having the file opened for a second time even if she is working in the document, Sometimes she doenst notice a second filed had opened so she is working in 2 copies of the same file.

Clearing the cache doenst help. office/teams and windows is all up to date latest versions.

Would love to hear what MS has to say, but I think I will open a case as well

@mjennes 

I met the same issue and is now working with MS to deal with it.

I heard from MS that in their tests, O365 ProPlus won't have this open twice problem.

At least my Office Professional Plus 2013 can consistently reproduce this issue.

@zhiyuanChen 

To bad, Im at ProPlus and it is happening for me, I also have a case at MS.

They are now looking at some log files I have produced for them

clipboard_image_0.png

@mjennes 

Still happening with us... We're on ProPlus and it's happening on multiple systems. (E3 licensing)... MS is still working on the ticket at this point it's been open for a week and they are still looking at the log files I sent...

I'm glad you're up and running though! :)

Have a ticket open with Microsoft also. Gave them the link to this post. Was told that the case has been refer to a product engineer.
Just received an update from Microsoft. A fix for this issue has already been developed and it is being deploy at the moment. The Public Ring that I am in is schedule for deployment on the second week of September. But things can change if issues arises.

@v803742 

That sounds like good news. Any change you could share your case number with me/us?
I also have a case open at MS, perhaps I can let them know your casenr so they can send me an offical reply that I can show my (not so happy) customer :D

thanks in advange

gr Kevin