SOLVED
Home

Teams crashes on check for updates

Highlighted
Jonathon Halford
Occasional Contributor

Teams crashes on check for updates

After installing the Fall Creators Update, every time Teams checks for updates, it pops up a save as dialogue with a filename of x64.  If I save the file, it's just a 0 byte file, and Teams closes.  If I hit cancel, Teams just closes.  I have tried uninstalling, rebooting, and reinstalling multiple times, and have verified I am on the latest version of Teams.  It was happening frequently just automatically, but I can replicate the issue by manually checking for updates.  Teams is otherwise working fine, but every time it checks for updates automatically (which seems to be about every hour) it is crashing 100% of the time.

42 Replies

Re: Teams crashes on check for updates

Same issue here

Run integraion test on your OS, cmd as Administrator and sfc /scannow - check that there is no issue on OS, and clean Temp files

I am replicating this on 2 different machines machines in totally different environments, and sfc scans have already been ran on both.  What is this integration test you mentioned?

edit: Clearing temp files made no difference.  This is 2 different machines, one domain joined work computer, and one personal computer on a home network.  Both had no issues prior to FCU, both experience the exact same issue immediately following the FCU.

It was all about sfc /scannow. What is version that you use, my is: 28451 x64 and all work

That is the version I am on also.  Have you installed the Fall Creator's Update?

Yes and this my work PC so it have many software installed, and I try to check O365 and Teams update and all works, no crash. Mayby try run MS Teams as Administrator and check this way ?

No problems here with Teams Desktop App and I have been using Windows 10 Creators Updates since las Thursday

This time the file it had me save actually had something in it:

{"isUpdateAvailable":true,"nugetPackagePath":"https://statics.teams.microsoft.com/production-windows-x64/1.0.00.28451/Teams-1.0.00.28451-full.nupkg","releasesPath":"https://statics.teams.microsoft.com/production-windows-x64/1.0.00.28451/RELEASES","url":null,"scenarioCode":2}

RE: Teams crashes on check for updates

Same problem here, with no solution at that time. Help Microsoft !!!

Same here... did an uninstall. reboot. reinstall and the dialog box is back asking to download x64 file and closes.

Same problem here. Sometimes I don't know Teams has closed until someone comes in to ask my why I'm not responding to chat messages

have got exact same issue, have tried sfc /scannow, running Teams as administrator. but still pops up and crashes has the following title in the "save" box that pops up https://teams.microsoft.com/desktopclient/update/1.0.00.28451/windows/x64?ring=general

I have been having the exact same issue as detailed above since updating to Windows Fall Creators Update Build 1709.

Teams prompts me to download a file 'x64' which is 0Kb. Whether I accept or cancel, the end result is Teams crashing. This happens at least once an hour, and can be manually replicated (also mentioned above) by manually checking for update.

My PC has been rebooted several times since the update, and I've also tried manually uninstalling and reinstalling Teams.

I haven't had it disrupt a call yet but it is distracting as the pop up will appear in front of whatever I'm doing at the time, forcing me to accept or cancel (it makes no difference) and ultimately restart Teams.

EDIT: To add, I have also tried performing scannow, which detected no issues, as well as running Teams as admin. No luck.

Link to download is same as abovehttps://teams.microsoft.com/desktopclient/update/1.0.00.28451/windows/x64?ring=general

I have the same problem and thought it was caused by the .exe file being downloaded behind our firewall. So tried to connect to my 4G internet hotspot and downloaded it again. After de-installing I installed the app again the problem was gone..... for a day. Today it prompted again.

Some users also experience the issue. No solutions and rendering openend files locked for some time and lost of time to finisch the Original document. We experience on Surface Pro and Surface Laptops, but on all devices. All mentioned solutions do not work. We are loosing adaption for Teams.

I ended up doing a reset to windows keeping existing files and the problem is resolved.  Not the best solution, but it fixed all permissions issues, and allowed for Teams to work correctly after the Fall Creator Update

I had opened a support ticket through O365 admin, and after an hour we thought we had narrowed the problem down to the antivirus.  But today I cannot replicate the "fix".  With or without the antivirus being disabled, it is still doing the save prompt and crash when it checks for updates.

Same issue here. It does it about every 30 minutes for me

Same issue here, started to happen after Fall Creators Update. Tried to reboot and login with local admin account and deleted all the Teams dirs in %Appdata% and such, and then reboot with domain user and installed it again, but i get the same issue again.

Same Issue here too. Wonder when this will be patched...?

+1, same problem. Having the problem on both my work laptop and home desktop. This is also happening to all staff within my company that have the Fall Update. There is a direct correlation between the issue having the Fall Update to Windows 10. Looking forward to a resolution. 

Same problem here!

For what it's worth, I did resolve the issue by simply resetting my Windows install.  Wish it had not come to that, but something about the upgrade process must have messed something up that made Teams behave this way.

I have found that this is a bug in the Fall Creators Update.  I have had several instances of folders on my computer that I couldn't access.  Even as an administrator, I was unable to take ownership of those directories.

In my case, the directory I couldn't access was C:\users\<username>\Roaming\Microsoft\Teams\tmp.  I guess this is where Teams downloads its updates to.

HOW TO FIX:

1. Hold down the Shift key while you select restart

2. Choose the Command Prompt option from the Troubleshooting menu

3. Change to the Teams AppData directory

4. List the contents with 'dir' and I guess you won't see the 'tmp' directory

5. Create the directory (mkdir tmp)

6. Delete the directory (rmdir tmp)

7. Exit the command prompt

The same fix works for other directories you're unable to access, if you can figure out what they are.  Not sure how to report this issue to Microsoft, but I'm sure they already know.

Actually, skip step 6. If Teams recreates the directory you will have the same problem.

Tried this but it did not work for me.
This is getting annoying now. I am trying to drive adoption of Teams in our organisation but it is difficult when the client shuts down regularly.

My solution appears to be temporary for Teams, but seems to work for other applications. I know it doesn't help, but I'm pretty sure the issue is with the Fall Creators Update and not Teams.

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Microsoft-Teams/Teams-appdata-folder-inaccessible-after-Fall-...

Seems like Webroot is the culprit, we do use Webroot, i've now disabled it on my computer and restarted Teams, so far so good, the issue is gone. I guess webroot needs an update.

Same here. Whenever it tries to check for an update it asks to save (open?) a file called x64 and then crashes.

Solution

The Microsoft Teams group posted an update here.  Apparently, the problem is with Webroot and Windows 10 Fall Creators release.  If you are a Webroot customer, definitely open a support case to raise the level of attention!

"Thank you to everyone who sent logs! We have determined the root cause:
On the Fall Creator’s Update (RS3), users who are running the anti-virus software Webroot are having issues accessing their AppData folder. This is a general issue not only related to Teams, as other apps have had reports of users not being able to access this folder when Webroot is running.

We are working on a fix in Teams, and the Windows team has reached out to Webroot for a fix on their side as well. Shutting down Webroot will workaround the issue until we are able to release a fix. We are continuing to investigate finding a workaround that doesn’t involve completely shutting down webroot, and will keep you posted."

Yep, getting this as well since doing a clean install of FCU Windows 10. Also got the issue where Edge downloads everything as a Text file and can't load web PDFs - I thought this might be related?

Update - Confirmed Webroot as the cause of the issue. Raised a support ticket with them.

Yes - I can verify that my issue with this was caused by a problem with WebRoot. Webroot is aware of the issue and working on a patch. There is a workaround WebRoot setting that works in the meantime. here is the note that I got from Webroot that allows it to work in the meantime.

Please use the steps below to resolve this issue for the time being. 

1. Open Webroot and select "Advanced Settings. " 
2. Click on "Shields." 
3. Uncheck "Check Files for threats when written or modified". Save the settings and restart the computer. 
4. Retest the issue. ( a reboot may be required for this to take effect) 

The Webroot Development team has been notified of this issue and is currently working on a resolution. We expect to address this issue in an upcoming software version release, which will be downloaded automatically to your computer and installed when it is available. 

As an IT pro that is currently not using those talents as my primary work role, I found that my corp has Webroot options locked down to the outside IT support company that HQ uses. Here is a workaround ANYONE can use if you are frustrated by the constant file save prompts and app closing. Use the browser version at https://teams.microsoft.com and log into your 365 account. It wont have the notifications and all the same features, but its better than reopening the app all day or not using it at all. I know, I know, has nothing to do with resolving the actual problem with Webroot and the Appdata folder, but at least you can keep a Teams window up until Webroot or Microsoft makes a patch for this issue. I hope that helps someone! 

It seems like this is still an issue.  I just updated to the Creators' Update on November 8, and Teams has crashed for me several times.  Has there been any news on an update for this?

As of yesterday, Webroot support shared this with me:

"This is still pending a build release. We currently do not have an ETA, but this is priority number one for our Dev and QA teams. When a build becomes available, machines will automatically update to it. There isn't anything you would need to do on your end."

Here is the previous workaround provided by Webroot, until they fix the problem:

Thank you for reaching out and reporting this issue. First, let us say that we have identified the problem and have a resolution currently being tested by our QA department. It will be scheduled for release soon. Secondly, depending on the nature of the file interaction in place, there are two known methods of working around the issue. Generally, we would recommend you try the first method, and failing that, work towards the later.

Workaround I – Disabling “Check files for threats when written or modified”

There are two different methods to address this issue. If you run agents with an unmanaged policy, please follow the instructions below:

1. Open Webroot SecureAnywhere agent by double clicking the "System Tray" icon at the lower right of your screen or by clicking the "Desktop" icon.

2. Click the "Advanced Settings" button in the upper right corner of the window that appears.

4. Click the "Shields" button on the left side of the options window.

5. Remove the check mark next to “Check files for threats when written or modified.”

6. Click the "Save" button at the bottom of the options window and enter the code when prompted.

If you do not allow for unmanaged polices, you can perform the following steps to create a managed policy that applies the same setting described, and can be applied to specific endpoints in your environment:

1. Sign into the Webroot SecureAnywhere portal

2. Navigate to the Policies tab.

3. Create a custom policy or use one of our recommended policies with the options you wish to have configured and click the "Copy" button near the top of the page.

4. Name and describe your policy, and click the "Create Policy" button.

5. Once the policy is created, double click on its entry to edit.

6. Click the "Realtime Shield" option on the left.

7. Set the Draft changes for "Scan files when written or modified" to "Off."

8. Click the "Save Changes" button and then set "Promote Draft Changes" to "Live."

9. Navigate to the "Group Management" tab and select the endpoints you wish to receive the policy.

10. Click the "Apply Policy to Endpoints" button, select the policy created for this issue, and click "Apply."

11. Once the agents check in, they should receive this new policy and apply it correctly. You can force an endpoint to check for policy changes by right clicking the "System Tray" icon, and selecting "Refresh Configuration."

Note: the application or process will need to be completely restarted for this method to work correctly. The simplest way to achieve this is by rebooting the computer. Once the system comes back up, please test the same actions that caused you to contact us and see if everything works properly. If you are still having issues, please proceed [to entirely disable Webroot as another alternative.]

Same issue here.

If I wait long enough then the MS Teams update triggers and I see the 'Save' window with x64 file, it doesn't matter if I save or cancel, MS Teams closes. x64 file is 0 bytes.

If I force an update and same happens

I do not have webroot, I use BitDefender.

I disabled BitDefender On-Access and Advanced Threat Control - no difference

I can't find any mention of this behavior anywhere else.

This also happens on any mac where the user is not an admin user.

I'm sorry to be rude here but as a user I just expect it to work. Took me time and energy enough to find this thread to be happy that it wasn't only me experiencing the problem. However, this is not good for Teams. We are in a transition period to Teams and all these hickups are creating negativity towards anything new (in this case Teams).

https://community.webroot.com/t5/Product-Releases/Windows-10-Fall-Creator-Update-Bug-Fix/td-p/305469

Here's an update from Webroot from a few weeks ago.  Note the second post, from user freydrew.

[SOLVED]

Update Webroot to version 9.0.18.44

This is still an issue. Our org uses Webroot and I noticed the x64 file save thing yesterday. I've disabled Webroot to see if that is still the cause.
Slack does not suffer the same issue...

Disabling Webroot did not solve the problem. Why are Microsoft products do **bleep** buggy???
Nothing works right. It's so frustrating.
Related Conversations
When will desktop sharing be available in Teams?
James Auman in Microsoft Teams AMA on
39 Replies
Adding external users to teams
Catherine CHAZELAS in Microsoft Teams on
23 Replies
Can I Email to a Team channel
Bart van der Meer in Microsoft Teams on
57 Replies
Groups vs Teams
Stefanos Papadopoulos in Microsoft Teams on
21 Replies