SOLVED

Teams can't load/open documents

Copper Contributor

We've been working with Teams and SharePoint for quite some time. However, since a few weeks Teams can't load or open any documents, despite the fact that these documents are still available in SharePoint.

What could be wrong?

11 Replies
What happens when a user tries to open a document in Teams? Do they get an error message?

Does this issue affect all users and all Teams - or just specific users or specific Teams?

Does this issue occur in the Teams web app teams.microsoft.com - or in the Teams desktop app?

If you create a new Team - does the issue exist there?

Hello Rob,

Thanks for the quick follow up.

- When open "files" of one of our channels, we get the message: "These files are no longer available - check to see if site is available and try again".

- We've got 6 different Teams. After checking just now it seems that this problem indeed only exists in one Team.The issue affects all users of this specific Team. 

- The issue occurs in the Teams web app. The Teams desktop app doesn't work properly, because of compatibility problems with our server (so i've been told).

best response confirmed by Jef_Michielsen (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Jef_Michielsen check out this thread - it sounds like it might be applicable.

@Iain Fielding If it is the same issue as you had, it seems like there could be something that has changed recently in the service that is causing this.

Hello @Rob Ellis 

Thanks again.

However, after checking if the problems mentioned we're similar to ours, I think what we're experiencing isn't quite the same. Foremost because we haven't changed our Team/Channel names.

I've now noticed that, despite the fact that all our files still exist on SharePoint, it's no longer possible to directly go from Teams to SharePoint when using the "Open in SharePoint" option given in the files-section of each channel.

It is as if, in lack of a better description, the "link" between Teams and SharePoint has been dissolved in this one Team of ours.

If you look in the SharePoint Documents library - do you see any folders created recently at the top level of the library, with names that match (or are similar to) the affected Teams channel names?

Is the issue affecting just a single channel?

@Rob Ellis 

After checking, i found only a few folders in SharePoint that had resembling but empty folders. As suggested in the mentioned thread, i deleted the empty folders. However, i couldn't change the old folder names, as we have never changed them to begin with.

Furthermore, the problem occurs in almost all channels (90 something) of one Team and i found only 5 or 6 empty folders resembling existing older folders.

Some time crash to open affected by security (protection) our network. Please make sure that not interference @Jef_Michielsen 

check the permissions on some of the existing folders - they should all inherit from the SharePoint site - seeing as this issue is affecting all channels, it feels like it could be a simple permissions problem.
actually, permissions probably not the cause - otherwise the end users would be unable to access the files directly in SharePoint either.

@Rob Ellis

Tried some other things:

- The problem doesn't occur in a newly created channel in the problematic Team. 

- Uploading a file in a channel in the problematic Team isn't possible: error mentions that the file is blocked. 

I would recommend raising a support ticket.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Jef_Michielsen (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Jef_Michielsen check out this thread - it sounds like it might be applicable.

@Iain Fielding If it is the same issue as you had, it seems like there could be something that has changed recently in the service that is causing this.

View solution in original post