Home

Teams Only Mode Still Allowing SfB Communications

Shaun Jennings
Contributor

We have recently gone to Teams Only mode within our environment, but I am told that people are still able to use SfB to chat. Is there a way to check on who is still using SfB and how to completely eliminate the usage of SfB (outside of external meetings)?

1 Reply

@Shaun Jennings  - What version/build of Office do you have deployed?  I went through this a month or two ago, and was dealing with what I called 'Straddle Mode', where both SFB & Teams clients could and were being used, and IM traffic was pretty messy & inconsistent. Users NOT happy...

I discovered that it was our deployed version of Office that was permitting both SFB/Teams to run side-by-side.  We were at Click To Run build 1705.  I upgraded to 1803 and Voila!  After a reboot when SFB auto-launched the client interface was covered with a 'You've Been Upgraded To Teams' image, with a URL to launch Teams & no way to access SFB functionality. 

A PSS ticket and escalation to the Teams product group 'kind of' confirmed this - MS wouldn't 'officially' admit to there being a 'minimum' version of Office needed for a clean switchover, but I was told that a patch was being worked on for the 1705 build.  That fact told me everything I needed to know, so I have mandated an 1803 upgrade prior to Teams eligibility here.

YouveBeenUpgradedTeams.png

Related Conversations
flashing a white screen while open new tab
cntvertex in Discussions on
13 Replies
Stable version of Edge insider browser
HotCakeX in Discussions on
35 Replies
Tabs and Dark Mode
cjc2112 in Discussions on
23 Replies
How to Prevent Teams from Auto-Launch