Home

Teams Only Mode Still Allowing SfB Communications

Shaun Jennings
Contributor

We have recently gone to Teams Only mode within our environment, but I am told that people are still able to use SfB to chat. Is there a way to check on who is still using SfB and how to completely eliminate the usage of SfB (outside of external meetings)?

1 Reply
Highlighted

@Shaun Jennings  - What version/build of Office do you have deployed?  I went through this a month or two ago, and was dealing with what I called 'Straddle Mode', where both SFB & Teams clients could and were being used, and IM traffic was pretty messy & inconsistent. Users NOT happy...

I discovered that it was our deployed version of Office that was permitting both SFB/Teams to run side-by-side.  We were at Click To Run build 1705.  I upgraded to 1803 and Voila!  After a reboot when SFB auto-launched the client interface was covered with a 'You've Been Upgraded To Teams' image, with a URL to launch Teams & no way to access SFB functionality. 

A PSS ticket and escalation to the Teams product group 'kind of' confirmed this - MS wouldn't 'officially' admit to there being a 'minimum' version of Office needed for a clean switchover, but I was told that a patch was being worked on for the 1705 build.  That fact told me everything I needed to know, so I have mandated an 1803 upgrade prior to Teams eligibility here.

YouveBeenUpgradedTeams.png

Related Conversations
How to Prevent Teams from Auto-Launch
chenrylee in Microsoft Teams on
28 Replies
Tabs and Dark Mode
cjc2112 in Discussions on
2 Replies
Early preview of Microsoft Edge group policies
Sean Lyndersay in Discussions on
65 Replies
*Updated 9/3* Syncing in Microsoft Edge Preview Channels