SOLVED

Teams Live Events and audio

Copper Contributor
At my company we have just started to look at using Teams Live Events.  We have an upcoming Town Hall that we wish to use it for.  Whilst great for a traditional presentation or just a speaker speaking, if we want to play a video we and broadcast the video with audio, the attendees can not hear the audio.  Any suggestions?
16 Replies
best response confirmed by Mike Blair (Copper Contributor)
Solution

There will come support for system audio in a meeting when sharing desktop soon in Teams meeting, even if they haven't specific said that it will also support system audio when sharing in a Live Event I think it will be supported.

We have used a HDMI to USB device for our customers that want to share audio from a computer, the device we used is from Magewell but there is many different brands. You have one computer where you present and share audio, connect computer with HDMI with the HDMI2USB device and connect the USB cable to and second computer. Join the live event as an presenter from the second computer, the screen from first computer will show as an video device and the audio will show up as an audio device/microphone.

If you want to show the presentation from the first computer on a projector screen or similar you have to split the HDMI signal first. 

Thanks for this, I’ll investigate further.

@Mike Blair Now the option to include System audio is available in Teams meeting when sharing but unfortunately not available in Live Events.

https://www.lync.se/2019/08/include-system-audio-in-teams-meetings/

@Linus Cansby Any idea or word on being able to "include system audio" in a Live Event?  With the producer/presenter view of a Live Event being just a specialized Teams meeting, it seems like they ought to have the same option in Live Events

@George Cabe No, haven't heard anything about that. There is a uservoice for it here:

https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103-public/suggestions/38470144-about-include-system-...

But there is also another uservoice that could solve many similar problems and allow you to play a pre-recorded filmclip in a Live Event.

https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103-public/suggestions/38020843-allow-upload-of-pre-r...

Thanks @Linus Cansby.  I voted them both up

@Mike Blair 

After searching on google I found a video on youtube below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZs8leJeYMY&feature=emb_logo

The solution worked as well, but in my opinion it's still too difficult to be delivered to the user.

So I tried to find another solution that was simpler so that it could be done even by ordinary people.

The first option :
You need to prepare:
- 2 Notebooks
- 2 pieces of audio splitter, the price is around IDR 5K ($ 0.30) / pcs
- 1 pcs audio jack, the price is around IDR 5K ($ 0.30 $)

How to:
Using two notebooks that join into ms teams live meeting, where 1 notebook is for video and another notebook is for audio. Simply plug the audio cable from the first notebook speaker into the microphone on the second notebook. I have tested and worked well.

MicrosoftTeams-image (5) (Large).jpeg

The disadvantages are:
because the two notebooks are close together, the microphone on the first notebook must be muted so there is no echo feedback.

Second Option:
You need to prepare:
- USB soundcard, the price is around IDR 60K ($ 3.7)
- Audio splitter, the price is around IDR 5K ($ 0.30)
- 2 pcs 3.5mm audio jack, the price is around IDR 5K ($ 0.30) / pcs
- External speaker, the price is around IDR 50K ($ 3)

Here's the config :
- Settings Default audio on the notebook to headphones on the internal soundcard.

defaud.jpg- Connect the audio cable from the speaker port on the internal soundcard to the microphone jack on the USB soundcard.
- Connect the audio cable from the speaker port on the USB soundcard to the input jack on the external speaker.

MicrosoftTeams-image (6) (Large).jpeg - Default audio settings on ms team to USB soundcard

teamsaud.jpg

The disadvantages of these two options are :
Cannot be used to talk when broadcast video because the speaker and microphone are in use.

Please forgive my grammar because i am not good at english, hopefully it can help.

:lol:
Microsoft Teams Live Events don't have the "share system audio" feature that regular Teams Meetings do. To work around this, you just need an HDMI capture device and to physically connect the presenter's device to the producer's device so you can get the screen AND audio. This video shows you how
Hi,
I made it working with a simpler configuration. Just used a piece of software called "Virtual Audio Cable" (https://www.vb-audio.com/Cable/) that is redirecting system audio to a virtual mic device.
indeed it's working even with one pc but every time I play a video into a live event I have to switch the mic configuration to "CABLE Output (VB-Audio Virtual Cable)", and remember to mute all the other presenters otherwise their talkover is cutting off audio from video playback.

Thank you so much @gpetino73 Your reply has helped me a lot. And as a help to the community, I made a deep dive step by step guide on how to do the trick using the workaround you suggested.

Here's the link to my site:

https://www.untoldit.com/2020/04/how-to-broadcast-pre-recorded-video.html

@gpetino73 Worked excellent for us. Thank you Sir! 

@Mike Blair since today the feature is now in our Office 365 activated, check if it's enabled for you! :)

@DE-Robin yes I’ve seen this. Ironically I’ve needed to use the feature since my original post. At least I’m prepared for the next time 👏🏻

@DE-Robin  Would you tell us where is this "include system audio" feature in O365 for Microsoft live events? So, we can turn it on when we need it.  Thanks. 

Share your screen and you have a checkbox to share your computer audio. If not it is not available for your tenant and you have to wait.

@DE-Robin   "Share your screen and you have a checkbox to share your computer audio." This only works in Teams meeting.  It is not available in Microsoft Live Event.  I am looking for the same feature in live event.  

You must understand that every Office 365 Tenant (workspace) have other patch levels. So our tenant in Germany got an update. Maybe yours will get this Feature in the next days or weeks.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Mike Blair (Copper Contributor)
Solution

There will come support for system audio in a meeting when sharing desktop soon in Teams meeting, even if they haven't specific said that it will also support system audio when sharing in a Live Event I think it will be supported.

We have used a HDMI to USB device for our customers that want to share audio from a computer, the device we used is from Magewell but there is many different brands. You have one computer where you present and share audio, connect computer with HDMI with the HDMI2USB device and connect the USB cable to and second computer. Join the live event as an presenter from the second computer, the screen from first computer will show as an video device and the audio will show up as an audio device/microphone.

If you want to show the presentation from the first computer on a projector screen or similar you have to split the HDMI signal first. 

View solution in original post