SOLVED

Teams Crashing on Mac OS Catalina Public Beta

Copper Contributor

Anyone else noticing Teams crashing on Mac Catalina Public Beta? I noticed one other person post about the same behavior I'm seeing.

Loads for a bit and starts to show the screen, but then goes white and crashes, then tries to restart itself again. Curious if it's an OS or Teams issue, and how to get updates if Teams doesn't start.

30 Replies

@andre-robitaille 

I am experiencing the same problem. Interestingly, when I used Teams off the company network last night, I didn't have an issue. I attempted to replicate this morning on a hotspot and the issue returned.

When will MS update Teams for Catalina?

@michaelwblackotf Guys, you know this the first public beta of an OS only released to developers less than a month ago and not likely to ship for another 3 months, right?

This isn't a Teams issue (at least it isn't right now).   If this was mid-September and it was public beta 5 and the Teams client still crashed then there would be more cause for concern.

@Kevin Crossman You don't know if it's a Teams issue or not.

@andre-robitaille  Of course I don't.  But raising an issue of ANY app not working on BETA 1 of a brand new OS introduced to Developers less than a month ago is energy that is not well spent.

I'm sure the team at Microsoft who manage the Mac version of the Teams app are aware of the issue and will have a version of the app that works well with Catalina once it officially production launches in late September or October.

@Kevin Crossman Take it up with the Microsoft Twitter account for telling me to bring it here.

And if it is a Teams issue and not an OS issue, then it's worth bringing up. 

@andre-robitaille Was that a public reply? I'd be interested in seeing it.

Ok, let's say it IS a Teams issue. They are under no obligation to fix this until Catalina starts shipping in the fall. So, why complain now?

@Kevin Crossman I never complained. I pointed out an issue and asked if anyone else noticed it and if anyone knew if it was a Teams or OS issue. And now is the time to bring it up since the OS is in beta and it needs to be working before the OS releases.

You're really not contributing in any way and are overly argumentative.

@andre-robitaille Complaining about Discussing software that doesn't work on public beta OS releases (especially beta one) is not productive in this or any non-developer community, in my opinion.

@Kevin Crossman No one asked for your opinion about if my post was good enough to be here, but it's noted. Thanks.

@andre-robitaille Microsoft will be testing this as well, and I'm sure if they need to do anything then that will happen as the GA release becomes available. There's little point chasing round issues that may well change as the OS builds keep changing.

In the past there have been issues a number of times with updates on Apple devices that required Apple to fix them, rather than Microsoft, there's a lot of x.1 versions that allow key applications to work. 

I can tell you they are aware of the issue and probabaly working on it. Lots of us early adopters have already made them aware of the issue ;)

I'm noticing that if I'm just using my laptop it works fine. But when an external monitor is added, even if I close the laptop to make it a single screen external monitor, that's when it crashes for me.

@andre-robitaille 

that is interesting. I was able to use over the weekend on a non-work network just fine.

@andre-robitaille 

there is also a browser edition of teams that I am finding useful

@michaelwblackotf Calling and meeting features are less robust, but for chat it's decent.

Chrome now supports full audio and video, so really the only draw back of browser version is still calling.

@Chris Webb The single video versus 4-up video is a little annoying, but yes.

My Teams (on home Mac mini) started crash looping on me yesterday after working for the morning. It connects to my personal tenant. On Catalina v10.15 (19A501i).

My work MbP is running Mojave beta 10.14.6 (18G71a) and Teams is working fine. It connects to my work tenant.

Going to send the Teams logs to Microsoft and Apple. @andre-robitaille 

I think I figured this out, sort of. If you have tried to launch Teams via the Safari web browser you should get an error about blocking cross-site traffic being enabled. Unchecking that box and trying again did not work for me.

I tried again using MS Edge for Mac and got an error about having to enable 3rd party cookies. I did that in order to test it, and after enabling it, Teams now launches.

This must have something to do with the new security features built into Catalina and because Teams is not a signed application. @andre-robitaille 

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by andre-robitaille (Copper Contributor)
Solution

On my machine I have isolated it down to being when a USB headset is plugged in or not plugged in.

View solution in original post