Home

Team Presence, Messaging, and Skype for Business

Highlighted
Brent Ellis
Valued Contributor

Team Presence, Messaging, and Skype for Business

Haven't yet found an answer for this that isnt "give people choices" related.  Why is the presence and messaging and conferencing features in Teams separate than Skype for Business?  Will this be merged in the future or is the plan that it always remain seperate "capabilities"?

Things I would expect:

• If I am logged into to Teams, but not S4B, I should appear as online in both Teams and S4B
  • If I am logged into S4B and not Teams, I should appear as online in both Teams and S4B
  • If I am logged into S4B, I should be able to send a message/audio conf/video conf someone that is only logged into Teams
  • If I am logged into Teams, I should be able to send a message/audio conf/video conf someone that is only logged into S4B
  • If someone is logged in to both Teams and S4B, I'm not sure how this should work yet, but I would think some kind of choice be presented on how the user wants to anwer.
  • If I am logged into Teams, and try to make a phone call, and S4B is our phone system, I should be presented with the option to use the phone system to call, not just teams audio call

8 Replies

RE: Team Presence, Messaging, and Skype for Business

Hi Brent, Microsoft Teams was built on a shared set of "next-gen" media (audio/video) technologies that Skype for Business is also built upon. Microsoft Teams currently shows activity in the app vs presence reflected in Skype for Business. We are looking at ways that Microsoft Teams integrated more with the Office 365 portfolio, including Skype for Business. The goal, of course, to have to a consistent experience for users across the portfolio

Re: RE: Team Presence, Messaging, and Skype for Business

Can you tell me and/or direct me to documentation on how presence works in Teams and if it is configurable?  For example, I installed the iOS version of Teams and in the notificaiton settings, it has an option to not be notified if I am active in Teams on the desktop.

• What exactly constitutes "active" in Teams on the desktop and is that configurable similar to "away" settings in other messaging apps (e.g., set to away after 90 minutes of inactivity)?
  • If I'm using Teams in a web browser on my desktop but not the actual Teams desktop app, does that constitute being "active"?
  • In either of the above scenarios, if I'm doing other work on my desktop and the Teams app is simply running in the background, am I still considered "active"?

Is this specifically available?

• If I am logged into S4B, I should be able to send a message/audio conf/video conf someone that is only logged into Teams

I am trying to only be on teams to encourage adoption but those on skype cant message me correct?

Incorrect, check the option in Teams Notification Settings, Chat with Skype for Business.

Thanks Steve,

So if they are logged into Skype for bus. and i am logged in to teams, they can message me right?
Chat with skype option is enabled

yes, and vice versa

Re: Team Presence, Messaging, and Skype for Business

So currently, if you active on your computer but not active in the Teams app, you show as away?

Does your activity status on Teams translate over to the presence in SfB and Outlook?

I got an email notification about a message that i cannot find on here. So credit goes to user Andrew Mould for the below reply. I am reposting because i have exactly the same experience.

Quoted text
That's not my experience so far. I have "Chat with Skype for Business Enabled". When I select a user from the Chat list (who does have S4B open but not Teams) and try sending a message it doesn't go through, and vice versa. Additionally neither of us shows as online to the other

In case it makes a difference (and it shouldn't!) the S4B user has not used Teams.

end quote