Stuck with setup (without Office365): unable to add users

Copper Contributor

I'm trying to setup Teams for our small company, and am finding it excruciatingly difficult.

We do not have Office365. We do use Azure, MSDN, and some other Microsoft services with our company email addresses. We do have a company.onmicrosoft.com tenant which I believe is tied to our Azure accounts.

I was hoping to use the free version of Teams, but it seems this may not be possible given that we already have some other Microsoft services? At least, that's what support says. But online, it seems that there may be a "free trial" we can use for 1 year. I think that we've signed up for that under the company.onmicrosoft.com account, as it says we're licensed for "Microsoft Teams Commercial Cloud (User Initiated)". (Separate note to MSFT: why can't we just perpetually have the free version?)

However, I'm unable to log in or access Teams with my name@company.com Microsoft account. I get the message that "Someone has already set up Teams for your organization".

It seems that if I create a new name@company.onmicrosoft.com user account, I can log in and access that, but I don't want yet another Microsoft Account to deal with, especially since it isn't connected to the rest of our Microsoft services.

So, what's the missing link to allowing our name@company.com accounts to use and manage Microsoft Teams?

If, in the future, we decide to migrate our company.com email services to Office365, will any decisions I make here regarding Teams impact our ability to do that cleanly in the future?

Appreciate any guidance you can offer!

1 Reply

Bump...still struggling with this. Can anyone help, or point me to someone at MSFT that can assist?