Status Stuck at "Status Unknown"

Copper Contributor

Hi there everyone. I'm using the Free version of Microsoft Teams along with 4 other team members. I'm the only one with the issue where I can't see anyone's statuses or change mine. All statuses are stuck as "status unknown". /available yields in a few seconds of "setting your status to available" and then nothing. On Mobile, whenever I try to change my status it says "Something Went Wrong". So far I tried it in 2 different PCs and an Android phone on 2 different networks. Anything I'm missing here? Thanks in advance.

Edit: I also cannot add a status message. 

8 Replies

@baykalokandemir 

I am having the same issue.  Just trying Teams out to see if it is a good fit.  This snafu doesn't help the case to switch.

It seems that there is something wrong at the account level, as it's the same for the desktop app, web page, and mobile app.

@baykalokandemirSame for me no status changes possible. Fresh install on Dektop and mobile. Has someone an idea?

@baykalokandemir 

We have the same problem. We use Exchange 2016 Hybrid and in teams the status is shown as unknown.

Does anybody have an idea? I checked every google entry but no helpful hint

@baykalokandemir I just found this because I was having the same problem. This works for me, but you'll need to close IE, Teams and Outlook, if they're running, before using this method. First, create a file called Reset-Ie-Default.ps1 and copy this into it and save it:

#+-------------------------------------------------------------------+
#| = : = : = : = : = : = : = : = : = : = : = : = : = : = : = : = : = |
#|{>/-------------------------------------------------------------\<}|
#|: | Author: Aman Dhally | :|
#| :| Email: amandhally@gmail.com
#|: | Purpose: Reset Internet Explorer Setting to Default
#| :|
#|: | more info: http://newdelhipowershellusergroup.blogspot.in/
#|: | Date: 23 - July - 2012
#|: | 16:29
#| :| /^(o.o)^\ Version: 1 |: |
#|{>\-------------------------------------------------------------/<}|

## Load Assembly ##
[void][reflection.assembly]::Load("System.Windows.Forms, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089")
#-

"`n"
Write-Host " ============================================" -ForegroundColor 'Green'
Write-Host " [ Resetting IE To Default Settings]" -ForegroundColor 'Red'
Write-Host " ============================================" -ForegroundColor 'Green'
"`n"
###
"`n"

$arrOfficeProcs = "iexplore"
$continue = $false
cls

#Check for open Office apps
do {
$arrRunning = @()

foreach ($proc in $arrofficeProcs) {
if(((get-process $proc -ea SilentlyContinue) -ne $Null)){ $arrRunning += $proc }
}

if ($arrRunning.length -gt 0 ) {
$d = [System.Windows.Forms.MessageBox]::Show(
"There are currently one or more Internet Explorer windows Open.`n`nYou must close down all Internet explorer windows before reset it to default.",
"Reset IE Settings to Default...",
[System.Windows.Forms.MessageBoxButtons]::RetryCancel,
[System.Windows.Forms.MessageBoxIcon]::Warning )

if ($d -eq [Windows.Forms.DialogResult]::Cancel) { exit }

} else {
$continue = $true
write-host " No IE process are currently running" -ForegroundColor 'Green'
"`n"
Write-Host " Please TICK on `"Delete personal Settings`" and then click on `"Reset`" button <====" -ForegroundColor 'Yellow'
"`n"
& RunDll32.exe InetCpl.cpl,ResetIEtoDefaults | Out-Null
"`n"
Write-Host " ====> Please Launch Internet Explorer Now" -ForegroundColor 'Magenta'

"`n"
Write-Host " [ Resetting Done]" -ForegroundColor 'Red'
"`n"

}

} while ( $continue -eq $false )

#### End of the Script #### A m a n D h a l l y ---- amandhally@gmail.com

Then create a file in the same directory as the one above called ResetIE.bat and copy the following into it:
Powershell.exe -Command "& {Start-Process Powershell.exe -ArgumentList '-ExecutionPolicy Bypass -File %~dp0Reset-Ie-Default.ps1' -Verb RunAs}"

Then run the batch file. It resets the IE settings and resolves a host of issues regarding Teams and Outlook connectivity issues as well as the Status Unknown issue for me.

@michaelrday I'm interested in trying your solution since everyone's status in my organization is marked as unknown, however I am not an IT person. You mentioned creating a file in the same directory and I wasn't sure what this was referring to. Perhaps it is something I need to refer to our IT person? Happy for any feedback or guidance.

Hi @P_Andrews :

Without knowing how much/little you know about getting around in Windows, I'll make it as simple as I can for you. If you can't do this, see if you can find someone to help you:

1. Right-click on your desktop and then click on New -> Folder and give it a name, like ResetIE.

2. Open the new folder you just created and then in the folder, right-click in the folder and then click on New -> Text Document and name it:  Reset-Ie-Default.ps1  

3. Right-click on the file you just created (Reset-Ie-Default.ps1) and click on Open with...

4. Choose Notepad in the dialog that opens.

5. Paste the following text into it and then save it and close Notepad:

#|{>/-------------------------------------------------------------\<}|
#|: | Author: Aman Dhally | :|
#| :| Email: amandhally@gmail.com
#|: | Purpose: Reset Internet Explorer Setting to Default
#|: | more info: http://newdelhipowershellusergroup.blogspot.in/
#|: | Date: 23 - July - 2012
#|: | 16:29
#| :| /^(o.o)^\ Version: 1 |: |
#|{>\-------------------------------------------------------------/<}|

## Load Assembly ##
[void][reflection.assembly]::Load("System.Windows.Forms, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089")
#-

"`n"
Write-Host " [ Resetting IE To Default Settings]" -ForegroundColor 'Red'
"`n"
###
"`n"

$arrOfficeProcs = "iexplore"
$continue = $false
cls

#Check for open Office apps
do {
$arrRunning = @()

foreach ($proc in $arrofficeProcs) {
if(((get-process $proc -ea SilentlyContinue) -ne $Null)){ $arrRunning += $proc }
}

if ($arrRunning.length -gt 0 ) {
$d = [System.Windows.Forms.MessageBox]::Show(
"There are currently one or more Internet Explorer windows Open.`n`nYou must close down all Internet explorer windows before reset it to default.",
"Reset IE Settings to Default...",
[System.Windows.Forms.MessageBoxButtons]::RetryCancel,
[System.Windows.Forms.MessageBoxIcon]::Warning )

if ($d -eq [Windows.Forms.DialogResult]::Cancel) { exit }

} else {
$continue = $true
write-host " No IE process are currently running" -ForegroundColor 'Green'
"`n"
Write-Host " Please TICK on `"Delete personal Settings`" and then click on `"Reset`" button <====" -ForegroundColor 'Yellow'
"`n"
& RunDll32.exe InetCpl.cpl,ResetIEtoDefaults | Out-Null
"`n"
Write-Host " ====> Please Launch Internet Explorer Now" -ForegroundColor 'Magenta'

"`n"
Write-Host " [ Resetting Done]" -ForegroundColor 'Red'
"`n"

}

} while ( $continue -eq $false )

#### End of the Script #### A m a n D h a l l y ---- amandhally@gmail.com

6. Again, right-click in the folder and then click on New -> Text Document and name it  ResetIE.bat  like you did with the first file you created.

7. Right-click on the file you just created (ResetIE.bat) and click on Open with...

8. Choose Notepad in the dialog that opens.

9. Paste the following text into it and then save it and close Notepad:

Powershell.exe -Command "& {Start-Process Powershell.exe -ArgumentList '-ExecutionPolicy Bypass -File %~dp0Reset-Ie-Default.ps1' -Verb RunAs}"

Now close Teams, Internet Explorer and Outlook (if they're open) and just double-click on ResetIE.bat whenever you need to reset your status. I hope it works for you.

Note: you may have to right-click on Teams in your toolbar and select Quit.

I hope that's easy enough and that it works for you, too! Good luck!

@baykalokandemir 

You have to change the "coexistence mode" from Islands to "Teams only". Try again after 24 hours.
you can find this setting at "Org. wide setting" > teams upgrade

I found an easy method to resolve the above issue. No need re installation or do many things in power shell.
1. Sign out from Team (Only Team application)
2. Inform Admin to remove the Team license from portal.
3. After save, wait for some time and assign the same license again.
4. Login in the use system.
The status show Green or what you want to set.
Note: Before do the all above, please check the web team version also. if all behave the same the above solution will work. I try for two of my uses.