SOLVED

Start a chat to a new group?

Copper Contributor

Hi!

I'm getting accustomed to Teams and trying to migrate from SFB, but there's a few things I cannot figure out.

Here's my situation:

1. made a group of contacts named 'Staff'

2. went to new chat, started typing the name of that group

3. got the message "We cannot find any matches"...

Am I getting something wrong? After all, Teams is asking to Start typing a name or group when starting a new chat. 

I attached some screenshots...

9 Replies
Yes! Contact group and chat group are two different thing!
Your contact group is just a grouping of different contacts for better finding/ organisation! You can’t send messages to these!
Chat groups are created when you add more than two people to a private chat! There will be a pencil icon at the top so you can name the group! This is the kind of group the new chat option refers to
Thanks.

I don't care what the chat group is named as, I just want to send a message to all of the participants of a particular ContactGroup to.

After all, to what is referring the word "group" in the sentence "Start typing a name or group"? A chat group?
best response confirmed by 7iernei (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Yes! A chat group

Ok, thanks.

But wouldn't it be a great feature if I could start a new chat group with all the contacts of a contact group with just a few clicks?

Or is there another way of doing this - and which does not involve typing let's say 20 or more contact names...

No, unfortunately not! There is a user voice for this though so I’d suggest you go vote for it!!

https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103-public/suggestions/35371057-create-start-a-chat-f...
Oh, for real?

Well, I did as you suggested. Thanks for helping me out, at least now I was able to create a few workgroups we need. Thanks!

No problem:)
You should be able to use the top search bar to start typing the group chat name then chat with it. Using new chat button is using your company directory which doesn’t know about your custom chats.

I just want to ask a few simple questions regarding Excel / Office 365 for MAC.  How do I go about doing that??   thanks,@asadam deltinger 

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by 7iernei (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Yes! A chat group

View solution in original post