Setting up Microsoft Teams to make phone calls

Copper Contributor

I am attempting to get a system setup for making hundreds of phone calls. Currently our system is a little antiquated, and I think Microsoft Teams may be the answer. I'm just looking for some pointers on which direction to go and what I need to do to make this happen.

My wants are as follows:

-Have a headset plugged into computer. (Gaming headset or something similar)

-Be able to click a phone number (ideally from a excel document) and have my system call that number

-Have the caller ID from my computer match that of our business line, so if they have our number saved, it'll come up as our business on their phone. And if they call back it'll go to our receptionist.

Is this something that Microsoft Teams can accomplish? If so, what do I need to do to get it setup and working? And please feel free to explain it like I'm a 5th grader! I'm brand new to figuring out some of this telephony stuff.

(If it helps, we also have a decent phone system that is not connected to the computer at all. We have NEC phones but no headsets or anything of the like. We have to manually enter the phone numbers we are calling one by one...and it takes FOREVER to get our work done.) Thoughts?

2 Replies

@tolsoneaglemount 

To make outbound/inbound calls via the public phone network, you'd be using cloud voice. There's a lot more to explain there than I can do justice to in a short post.

This is one of those places where reading some of the docs before you start is a really good idea. I would read some of the basics on phone system licensing, calling plans and so on.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/MicrosoftTeams/cloud-voice-landing-page

To allow calls to come back to your receptionist is either an auto-attendant, a call queue, or a combination of the two (depending on how you want to route calls).

For you to experiment on a personal level, you'd need a phone system license and a calling plan for you. You'd also need to be an admin so you can administer Teams settings for the org. I would start there and gain some basic understanding of Teams and voice before I would try to bring on the entire org.

Good luck.

Awesome! Thanks for the link. I was having a tough time finding simply where to learn more about this, and that link seems to be the place!

With that said...wow...this may be trickier than I was expecting. :) Anyway, here we go!