SOLVED

Send posts for a single channel to email address

Copper Contributor

I am aware of this,

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/send-an-email-to-a-channel-in-teams-d91db004-d9d7-4a47-82e6...

I want the opposite.  Create a channel, and have all messages to the channel ALSO be sent to an external email address.  Our organization is evaluating the use of Teams, but we have a variety of (dark ages) email reflectors used for various purposes.  Some of these are for external customers and clients, so we want to just maintain the existing mailing list for now.

I'd imagining creating a channel in Teams, like "software-update" and having all messages to the channel also sent to software-update@example.com.

5 Replies
I vet you could do this programmatically by fetching messages in a channel and email them to a certain address!

I would not recommend this approach though! Implement or pilot teams for each function and utilize teams for each instead of doing this side by side of mail! People will end up using mail instead of adopting, information on several places etc
I'm never happy with support responses like "You wouldn't want to do that." I gave what I felt were reasonable justification for the use-case. This is to SUPPORT adoption, not the opposite. It is for a small number of SPECIFIC channels.
best response confirmed by painfulsupport (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@painfulsupport We also discourage this, but you CAN do it with flow. Use the Teams trigger "When a new channel message is added" give it the team/channel ids, then send an email. This example uses Mail since we aren't on Exchange Online, but you could use the regular Office 365 Outlook action as well.

@Robin Nilsson This is a little more involved than your post indicates - I was imagining somehow adding a "Flow" bot or something to a channel, but it's a whole separate application (flow.microsoft.com).  But, it seems like a workable approach.  Thanks!!  

Just giving you my two cents! That’s what you get with free support
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by painfulsupport (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@painfulsupport We also discourage this, but you CAN do it with flow. Use the Teams trigger "When a new channel message is added" give it the team/channel ids, then send an email. This example uses Mail since we aren't on Exchange Online, but you could use the regular Office 365 Outlook action as well.

View solution in original post