Restricting Access to Specific Channels or Folders - Updates?

Copper Contributor

Hi everyone, 

Any updates on being able to restrict access to specific channels within a team? Alternatively, is there a way to restrict access to a specific folder at least? 

Thanks! :) 

Alan

7 Replies
You can set explicit permissions from SharePoint on specific folders which Teams will honor!

Private channels which you are referring to are on the roadmap this year! No more specifics

Adam
I would not touch permissions for Teams Folders in the document library....it's preferable to wait until we have private channels (if we finally have them)
To clarify a little on that folder statement. You can set permissions on a folder however, any owner in the Team can bypass any custom permission as they are Site collection admins on the SharePoint site, so they trump all permissions. Just keep that in mind.

Thanks a lot for the information, @adam deltinger!

Yes indeed :) and as Carlos mentioned, it’s easy to mess things up! If you really need to restrict something I’d create a separate library and and it as a SP library tab in Teams

@adam deltinger 

I tried your tip of restricting permissions to a new library and adding it as a tab in Teams but other teams members could access it.  Any ideas why?

One of two things.

Those individuals are owners in the Team. Which means they are site collection admins and have access to everything on the site regardless of permissions.

2. You didn’t stop inheriting the permissions and or remove the default groups from the library you created before adding new users to it?