Restore Team - Associated Group Still Exists

Brass Contributor

Hi,

I have been asked to see if it is possible to restore a deleted Teams team.

This the story so far:

• Team was reported as being deleted
  • Files on SharePoint needed to be restored so one admin reportedly restored the SharePoint side of things
  • I was then asked to restore the team. Based on the documentation, I can either do it via Powershell or Exchange Online.
    • I confirmed that the group isn't in a "deleted" state at this point. So I do not have the restore option in Exchange Online or Powershell

I can see the team in the Teams admin center, but it is grayed out and has the follow error:

We can't load complete information about this team. Please refresh or try again after some time.

In the research I have done, if the group itself was deleted, I should be able to restore the group and it should bring back the Team. But in this case, the group still remains, it is just the team that is gone.

Is it possible that when the first admin restored the SharePoint site, that that brought back the group? But this process didn't fully restore everything?

Cheers,

Todd

11 Replies
Hi @Todd Harrison,

Doing a search on the issue, there is reference to what you are describing here -

https://www.reddit.com/r/Office365/comments/b2i4m9/team_missing_following_group_restore/

Not exactly the same scenario, but this may lead to a solution following the advice that was given by Microsoft which is for the owner of the team to ensure they are upgraded (client) and signed into Teams. If it doesn't work I would look to raise a ticket.

Hope that helps!

Best, Chris

Hi @Christopher Hoard,

I appreciate the quick reply. I did in fact come across this thread.

Unfortunately for us I believe that the original owner is no longer with the company.

I did try adding myself as an owner of the group to see if this made a difference, but no dice unfortunately.

I may need to open a ticket.

I would also like to get to the bottom of how the group was actually restored.

Cheers,

Todd

Sure - it could just be propagation - many of the articles which had this error said it self resolved - some say 24 hours, some have reported up to a week. If the original owner still exists you could possibly reapply a temp licence and log into the Teams client to see if that works.

However, I would raise that ticket too and MS will look into it - that seems the all up solution here and then post the root cause back in this thread

Best, Chris

@Christopher Hoard, one thing I keep forgetting with the cloud is that things don't always happen in the time you expect them to.

I can wait longer. The most important piece (the SharePoint) is back, so I have some time.

I will definitely post back here if I find anything out. I have also reached out to the necessary people to try and get a break down of what the state of the group was when the SharePoint was restored. Since I wasn't involved from beginning, I don't know all the steps taken to this point.

Thank you again and I will report back if I find anything.

Cheers,

Todd

Agree here, SharePoint was group connected so restoring that will restore the group.; My guess is that it'll be back tomorrow as well, if not then something with restoring SharePoint has a bug that didn't restore the Teams link and do a ticket, but lets hope that it fixes itself out :).

Just a quick update:

• A ticket with Microsoft has been opened
    • I was asked to wait 24 - 48 hours prior to taking any additional action
    • The 24 - 48 hour period has come and gone and the missing team has not been fully restored.
  • I confirmed that the restoration was done by one of our SharePoint administrators. According to the documentation this is not the correct method for restoring a deleted group. I am not sure if this played some role in the restoration issues.

I have reached out to MS Support and am waiting for a response. Once I have additional details I will update here.

Cheers,

Todd 

Great! Thanks for the update!!

Adam
Thanks Todd! Please keep us updated!

Best, Chris

Quick update

I have been in contact with support, they are not suggesting that one of the original owners needs to sign into Teams from a web browser and stay active in teams for up to 2 hours in order to trigger the restore.

I am waiting for one of the original owners to perform this action. I will report back if this works.

Hi Todd,

How did you get on - did this resolve it?

Best, Chris

@Christopher Hoard 

So far, it has not been resolved. I also can't seem to get Microsoft to respond to me.

We tried what they suggested, which was to have one of the original owners open Teams in an incognito tab in their browser and keep the window active for 2 hours straight.

This was done, but still the group has not been restored. And I also can't get Microsoft to respond to me so I don't really know what is going on at this point.

I will update though once I hear back from them.

Regards,

Todd