SOLVED

Resource account licensing for call queues and auto attendants

Brass Contributor

I understand that currently auto attendants and call queues require a licensed resource account but is there any news on if the licensing around these groups are going to change from a user license?

10 Replies
best response confirmed by Ben_Rooke (Brass Contributor)
Solution

Hi @Ben_Rooke,

there are now "Phone System Virtual User"-Licenses available for CQ/AA since July 2019. But please note that there are some known issues, e.g. if you remove a existing license from a resource account and add the new one it might break it.

I wrote a blog post about it: https://erik365.blog/2019/07/06/microsoft-teams-licensing-notes-update-july-2019/ 

@Erik365Online Great.  So for clarification I do not need an E1/3/5 license for a resource account to be used and i can add the virtual license to that account account and assign a PSTN number to it for direct routing??

Hi @Ben_Rooke, yes. Only the users to which calls are routed need to be licensed properly to have phone system capabilities.

Doesn't seem to appear in the UK yet, "Phone System Virtual User"-Licenses available for CQ/AA since July 2019"

Annotation 2019-08-01 160838.png

I am still getting this with an E5 and domestic license associated.

@Jason Beney  so not in the UK yet.. would love to know when... and also if I am setting up call queues with resource accounts that will be given a DDI.  so at the moment I have E1 with phone system for those resource accounts.. are we saying I wont need to do this seeing as no one actually answers the call.. it sends the calls to the agents.

Hi @Jason Beney , Microsoft documentation describes it here https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/teams-add-on-licensing/virtual-user. It's a bit hidden in Office 365 and needs to be bought as "free" 0,- €/$ add-on license:

How to 

1. Sign in to the Microsoft 365 admin center.
  2. Go to Billing > Purchase services > Add-on subscriptions
  3. Scroll to the end to find the "Phone System–Virtual User" license. Select Buy now.
So it has to be a phone system virtual license, as a stop gap I was hoping I could use an E5 and Domestic calling plan license as I have spares. But no joy! Ok thanks for the info.
E3 + Phone System +Calling Plan or E5 incl. Phone System + Calling Plan works also but is not necessary

@Erik365Online 

Think I might lose the will to live...:facepalm: Have to sign off now but any thoughts welcome!

Annotation 2019-08-01 164016.pngAnnotation 2019-08-01 164048.png

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Ben_Rooke (Brass Contributor)
Solution

Hi @Ben_Rooke,

there are now "Phone System Virtual User"-Licenses available for CQ/AA since July 2019. But please note that there are some known issues, e.g. if you remove a existing license from a resource account and add the new one it might break it.

I wrote a blog post about it: https://erik365.blog/2019/07/06/microsoft-teams-licensing-notes-update-july-2019/ 

View solution in original post