SOLVED
Home

Reduce Email with Microsoft Teams (how and why to do it)

Highlighted
Matt Soseman
Microsoft

Reduce Email with Microsoft Teams (how and why to do it)

I just posted a new blog article on how to reduce email with Microsoft Teams, I'd really like to hear your feedback on how your organization is using Microsoft Teams to better manage email. Link to blog:

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/skypehybridguy/2017/08/26/reduce-email-with-microsoft-teams-how-...

17 Replies

Re: Reduce Email with Microsoft Teams (how and why to do it)

Really great article Matt!!! I was reading it just before reviewing new posts in the Tech Community

Very nice blog thanks for Shareing

While there are some good thoughts in the blog, I think it dramatically under-estimates the cultural aspect of the transition. There are many people who have organized their working life around email and Outlook. Just like Yammer hit this rock, Teams will hit it too, and the lack of smooth email exchange in and out of Teams will hinder adoption (for instance, no way to email out of Teams).

It took years for Outlook to succeed and it will take time (less now because of different circumstances) for Teams to transition many from an email-centric workflow. Like in many areas of technology, internal culture, work habits of peers, examples from managers, and even national differences (don't assume that everyone outside the U.S. shares the same position view of "high-velocity chats" as seems to exist in the U.S.) will slow the transition. I think email will be firmly imbedded for quite some time to come.

On a positive note, just like Yammer found its space, Teams will find its own sweet spot within the spectrum of collaboration technologies available inside Office 365. It will match the needs and work habits of some organizations very well and will do a super job for them. And Teams will evolve and grow over time, just like every other technology, and that growth will help it satisfy people who will not move today.

I really like this aspect of teams; yet the #1 request I get form colleagues using it is that they would love to be able to respond from within teams so that everyone sees the entire conversation inside the same thread. I've talked to MailClark about this and they're wokring on something- yet, I would love a native solution. 

Basically:

(1) Allow people to send an e-mail to the group's e-mail address, let this E-Mail pop up in a designated channel and allow me to respond from within the channel in Teams.

(2) Give me a way to write a new e-mail from within that channel as teamname@domain.com; as these e-mails go through the Exchange-server I'd love to be able to see them in the group's outlook inbox as well.

In a second iteration I'd love to be able to chose to write from either the team's or my e-mail-address.

Solution

In a second iteration I'd love to be able to chose to write from either the team's or my e-mail-address.

Be careful... you're getting into email territory (SendOnBehalfOf or SendAs permissions).

RE: Reduce Email with Microsoft Teams (how and why to do it)

Thank you for the blog article, with clear motivation of using Teams instead of email. Now if we can only get it to work with people outside of our organisation...

Re: RE: Reduce Email with Microsoft Teams (how and why to do it)

Brad Sams thinks that external access is close https://www.petri.com/microsoft-begins-external-testing-guest-access-microsoft-teams

Of course, he might just be dreaming... But he has good sources inside Microsoft.

Matt

The get email address option is not visible, is this a feature that has to be turned on somewhere?

Neil

You've selected a channel - right (not the team)?

ChannelEMail.jpg

teams.PNG

yes I had see image.

I'm thinking the same @Matt Soseman, we need to start providing solid, reasoned explanations why to use Teams, rather than just referring to it a 'cool', 'modern' or 'future of'. Here are my 5 Reasons to use Teams instead of Email.

https://medium.com/@smcollier/5-reasons-to-use-microsoft-teams-instead-of-email-b646b815ee7a

Reasons to use Microsoft Teams instead of.png

You make a good case for Teams, but I fear that you over-accentuate some points to make that case. An equallyt compelling five reasons to use email rather than email might be:

1. The closed nature of Teams. With no ability to communicate outside Teams with the rest of the known world, Teams is a form of walled garden. On the other hand, Email can communicate with 3.7 billion people.
  2. No offline capability. Sometimes you need offline access. Even a poor Wi-Fi network is challenging for Teams.
  3. Lack of client choice. You have what Microsoft gives you. Although the Teams client is good, no choice exists. Email offers many different protocols and clients for people to choose from on a range of devices.
  4. The chaotic nature of conversations in busy channels. Yes, you can lose sight of messages in Outlook, but I suggest that a well-ordered mailbox based on a well-thought out folder structure is very capable of organizing vast numbers of messages in an easily-accessible manner. On the other hand, if you pile everything into the Inbox then you limit your ability to find information quickly. The sometimes chaotic nature of conversations in busy channels is equally hard to navigate when the time comes to separate the wheat from the chaff.
  5. Poor search. The search feature inside Teams has no filters to reduce the number of hits returned. It works for simple searches (so is good for demos), but is not so good otherwise.

You could go on - lack of delegate access, send as or send as behalf of capability, no support for encryption, etc. However, I have no interest in what is at the end of the day a fruitless comparison of two very different tools designed for different purposes. Email has acquired its features over 40 years of use to deal with real user needs. Teams does not serve some of those needs because it serves a different purpose. So it really doesn't make so much sense to compare one to the other. 

I view the two like a fork and a spade. Both can be used to dig a garden, but you use the two at different times.

TR

@Tony Redmond A longer title might be "5 Reasons to Microsoft Teams instead of email when working with a team", but it sounds silly saying team twice, we need more words. I think my aim was to have some reasons to convince people to not use email exclusively for everything, and point out tangible reasons that Teams could be a better answer. Email's going nowhere, but it would be nice to take some work away form it.

I do think you are perhaps over-accentuate some points of you own, we have plenty of external guest access working in our Teams, offline isn't important in every organisation, few orgs would really allow a free choice of email client, and Outlook search is really just as horrible as Teams.

Outlook search is indeed horrible at times but it has been improving. OWA is better. But offline access is important for anyone who travels. Speaking that is as a perpetual traveler.

I'm still unsure what problem this is solving. Why not have the conversation in Teams to begin with?

Good article!!!

A very well written blog posting highlighting some of the great features within Microsoft Teams.

I find myself more often than not now replying to an email thread on my team with the addition of our Teams general discussion email alias. The conversation then moves to Microsoft Teams for everyone to continue commenting, reducing email.