SOLVED

Online meeting connection issues - troubleshooting

Brass Contributor

Dear readers, 

I've faced multiple connection issues in Microsoft Teams online meetings. In the last case I was the one having issues.  Teams kept dropping me out, informing that there was a problem with my connection. I ran some diagnostics while these problems were happening and my connection downloaded over 100Mbps and Uploaded over 40Mbps with no drops in the connection. My team members have reported a similar issue to me and now after facing it myself and getting a better understanding of it I'd like to do some more troubleshooting. My current hypothesis is, that the issue is something else than connection speed-related, but unfortunately MS Teams is not providing me as an end user sufficient information to do anything about it. 

I'm not an admin in our organization, so I do not have all the tools at my disposal. Does anyone know, are there some diagnostic tools for the Teams that could shed light to this issue? 

2 Replies
best response confirmed by He1di (Brass Contributor)
Solution

Hi,

The bandwidth is usually not that interesting, of course it is good with enough bandwidth for all users but latency and low package drops is more important.

First make sure that you are using local internet breakout so that your office internet connection is as local as possible, so if you are working in Europe your internet breakout should not be in USA. You always want to come in to the Microsoft network as soon as possible.

There is a tool from Microsoft that you can use called Network Testing Companion, with this tool you can do a network connectivity test that checks that you can reach all servers that you have to be able to reach, it will also check if there is any latency, high package drops and high jitter. 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/use-network-testing-companion

@Linus Cansby Thank you very much Linus for taking the time to answer. It was very helpful, and the information useful. It seems that I'm going to need our admin's help on this. I'll inquire if this is something that can be looked at at some point. 

Kind regards, 

Heidi 

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by He1di (Brass Contributor)
Solution

Hi,

The bandwidth is usually not that interesting, of course it is good with enough bandwidth for all users but latency and low package drops is more important.

First make sure that you are using local internet breakout so that your office internet connection is as local as possible, so if you are working in Europe your internet breakout should not be in USA. You always want to come in to the Microsoft network as soon as possible.

There is a tool from Microsoft that you can use called Network Testing Companion, with this tool you can do a network connectivity test that checks that you can reach all servers that you have to be able to reach, it will also check if there is any latency, high package drops and high jitter. 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/use-network-testing-companion

View solution in original post