On-Prem AD Mail-enabled Security group, mail being sent to them. How can I make a Team?

Copper Contributor

Title mostly self explanatory.
Hybrid environment. We've got an existing mail-enabled security group in on-prem AD "Contoso Operations" using the email address operations@contoso.com. I've been asked for that group to be a Microsoft Team as well. But when I went to create it in teams I ended up with a team named Operations but an email address of Operatio@contoso.com. Is there a way to use the same email address, and then use a dynamic group or something to get the members to be the same?

3 Replies

@asaarima  Generally speaking, you can't have two objects with the same email address within an organization (an exception exists for mail contacts). Perhaps you could convert the security group to be a team and transfer the original email address to the team?

@Tony Redmond That would absolutely fill my requirements, any chance you could point me in the direction of how to go about doing that in a hybrid environment?

@asaarima  Teams can only exist in the cloud, so I would create the team there and populate it with the team members. Then, change the email address for the on-premises group to something like OldOperationsGroup@tenant.com and move the address to the team. You can run the Set-UnifiedGroup cmdlet to update the primary SMTP address of the group/team:

Set-UnifiedGroup -Id TeamName -PrimarySmtpAddress Operations@tenant.com