No external communication with Teams when SipProxyAddress is missing?

Brass Contributor

Hi,

I am a little bit confused.

I have a customer where external communication (with other O365 tenants) worked without problems. Since a few weeks most of the users are not able to do this. When you want to send a message to a user of the customer Teams says "mailadress not found" (i dont know the exactly sentence in english because i just know it in german).

I find out that these users do not have the attribute SipProxyAddress in Azure AD. Some users of the customers have, most of them does not have it anymore. I can add a SIP: entry in proxyaddresses on prem to get this done or enable the skype for business online license.

But how is it supposed to be right now? Was there a change that every Teams users needs a Skype for Business Online license to get a SipProxyAddress to communicate externally?

Kind regards

Patrick

5 Replies
Skype Online License for using Teams has always been a prereq for interop to allow the gateway to function from what I recall. Are these users that have been used before that just stopped working, or are they just getting it lately from reaching out to certain customer/clients?
Hi Christ,
Is it still a prereq? I am not talking about interop with SfB, just for external communication for teams. Do you have document/link for that to clarify?

Its very weird. The attribute sipproxyaddress disappears bit by bit from the users (over weeks and without changing the license - all users had no SfB Online license since the beginning).

Thanks.
Skype Online license is required for Teams to external communicate since it currently rides over the Skype for Business infrastructure. That might change when they launch Teams Native federation (Which should be launching soon).

Is there any link/article about that?

Yes, see big blue section here on this page. YOu have to be homed in Skype for Business Online, aka license so your setup in order to federate until they launch native fed.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/manage-external-access