SOLVED
Home

No Assignments Tab in Microsoft Teams

Highlighted
Nick Davies
New Contributor

No Assignments Tab in Microsoft Teams

Created a new Class in Microsoft Teams but the class doesn't show the Assignments tab. 

Only links that are visible are Conversations, Files and Class Notebook.

Any ideas?

Untitled.png

26 Replies
Solution

Re: No Assignments Tab in Microsoft Teams

Hi
As far as I know teams have not been fully developed.
I have this in writing from MS and they cannot give a time frame.
Quite frustrating!
Justin

It sometimes takes a little while to show up.

The assignment tab appears and works in the Teams desktop App but not synchronising back to the teams web interface.  Its not there.

@Geoff Wells wrote:

The assignment tab appears and works in the Teams desktop App but not synchronising back to the teams web interface.  Its not there.

Interestingly, on my side it shows up, after a short delay. Initially, it took a while during the setting up the Classes Team to show in the desktop interface. Now, if I open the web interface, it takes a few seconds and then appears.

Found my issue. Hopefully this helps anyone else having the same issue.

Admin Panel -> Settings -> Services & Add-ins -> Microsoft Teams

Select Apps from the drop down, and enable Allow External Apps in Microsoft Teams.

Once this was enabled, I was able to access the assignments tab.

Nick

this was the solution for me

Hi

Where did you change these settings? 

Thank's!

F*

Thanks Nick. It used to be on by default and looks like it then got turned off by default.

The Assignments tab has now appeared by I can't create an assignment. The screen below is just blank.

Does anyone know what the "assignments tab" is - as in what kind of app it is?  Obviously, if you have to enable the app option it must be a different kind of app...

Did Microsoft REALLY remove access to Microsoft Classroom, that worked perfectly, and force us into Microsoft Teams that doesn't allow us to view assignments from an iPad?

Is there a solution for this before the start of everyone's school year, or do we need to move to using Schoology?

I was hoping you had an update since your last post as far as a timeline.

That's what it looks like... 'classroom' is definitely discontinued, and I don't see the 'assignments' tab on the iPad version of teams.

Teams looks a little underdeveloped to me and I've been having a hard time with Microsoft even weighing in on these help forums.

@Jacob Billings wrote:

Does anyone know what the "assignments tab" is - as in what kind of app it is?

I'm not sure that I fully understand your question. Assignments is a separate app that runs in Teams. AFAIK it does not function as a stand-alone. It only works in Teams. It was developed to add the Assignments functionality to Teams. Teams is aimed at being a corporate collaboration platform and since it is very close to what is needed in the classroom the added functionality is bolted on through apps.

What if I wanted to use an external system to create assignments in the "assignments tab" so that I could sync between Teams and the other program I am using?

I need to be able to make API calls that can create "assignments".

Do you know what the app is?  Is it just something that comes pre-installed?

Also - as others have been stating - how can users view their assignments in Teams on the iPad?

Looks like we will have to switch to Schoology or some other Work Flow app.

Thanks for the update.

@Jacob Billings wrote:

I need to be able to make API calls that can create "assignments".

Also - as others have been stating - how can users view their assignments in Teams on the iPad?

On the first point - I really have no idea about the availability of an API for Assignments. Did you have access to an API for Microsoft Classroom?

On the second point - You should open Teams with the Browser Client (teams.microsoft.com) if the native client does not show the Assignments. The Browser Client is universal.

Hth

I was really looking forward to the OneNote features.  But I am noticing that there is OneNote (free / mobile) and OneNote 2016...  Most of the tutorials are for OneNote 2016.

It seems like there should be some other option to the assignments tab - maybe adding a shared excel file?  That was my best idea...

Microsoft (again as far as I can tell - based on their latest release posts) just did a big push over the last couple weeks to release updates to "Intune" and also to move over support for the School Data Sync (from classroom) to Teams.

I am hoping that the assignments section is going to be extended soon.  Or at least included in the iPad app.  I even tried signing in with Safari - because I hoped I could at least access the assignments tab there, but it forced me into the Teams app.

It really seems like Microsoft should be all over supporting this right now.  The school year is just beginning.  Educators are coming back - getting ready to use what they were using last year - and bam.  "Sorry we just changed everything and are only half supporting our new solution..."

I hope they get their act together on this soon.

@Scott Hutchison wrote:

Did Microsoft REALLY remove access to Microsoft Classroom, that worked perfectly, and force us into Microsoft Teams that doesn't allow us to view assignments from an iPad?

It's not really as bad as it looks. Microsoft Classroom was in preview. As much as it is a frustration to move to a new system, bite the bullet and go for it. I haven't found anything that was in Ms Classroom that isn't catered for in Teams (except for the Calendar). In fact I like the UX in Teams better than in Classroom. Classroom seemed disjointed. The UI is much more unified in Teams. There are premium features with regards to collaboration, sharing of files etc. In the end the choice is yours, but don't chuck it out before you've given it a test drive.

You can open the Teams in the iPad web browser and you should see the Assignments tab.

You cannot open Teams in the browser on an iPad.

It says: "Hmm.  Your browser version isn't supported.  Quickest solution?  Download the mobile app."

(Would you like a screenshot?)

There were some API calls to classroom here:   https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/office/office365/api/section-rest-operations

I never used Classroom.  But I need API calls.  You can't even create a "Team" (for education or not) with the Microsoft Graph API.

I just verified that Assignments do not show in the iPad Teams app, as well as the fact that Teams does not run in Safari. 

From Microsoft Support: "Microsoft Teams supports the web client on Microsoft Edge 12+, Internet Explorer 11+, Firefox 47.0+, and Chrome 51.0+. Users who try to open the Microsoft Teams web client on Safari are directed to download the desktop client. Safari support may be added at a later time."

I'm testing the installation of Google Chrome on the iPad and will report back with results.

Hopefully they will just add it to the iOS app.  That would be the best solution.

And hopefully, there will be an API soon that will let us add and total "assignments".

@Jacob Billings wrote:

Hopefully they will just add it to the iOS app.  That would be the best solution.

And hopefully, there will be an API soon that will let us add and total "assignments".

Yip, I agree.

No go with Google Chrome browser for iPhone and iPad either. Gives the same message: "Your browser version isn't supported." Sorry. This means that assignments cannot currently be administered on iPads.

Thanks for testing out all the options! I wish your testing turned out with better results that you and I were both hoping for. 

You can force the browser to provide the "desktop version" of the site.  The biggest problem is the settings don't stick.  There is also a desktop browser app on the store I am looking into.

Nick - where is the admin panel?
The only settings I can access are the ones that you click in to from the small picture at the bottom. When I click in here there are not many settings at all.
The only assignments tab i can see is on the left hand menu and it doesn't work at all!! I have created pages and the assignment tab doesn't show on any of them! sorry for the long reply.

Hi there. If you are still having this issue, please use the Feedback button at the bottom left hand corner of the Teams app. This will send us the info we need to resolve any issues. Thank!