SOLVED
Home

Microsoft Teams add in for Microsoft Office seen in Outlook startup

Highlighted
John Wynne
Valued Contributor

Microsoft Teams add in for Microsoft Office seen in Outlook startup

I noticed a Microsoft Teams add in for Office when starting Outlook 2016 today. I can see no add in available yet on the add in menu. Anyone else know about this please? I'm on Office Insider Slow latest update.

18 Replies
Solution

Re: Microsoft Teams add in for Microsoft Office seen in Outlook startup

Maybe ...

teams.PNG

Thanks Steven. Not seeing that yet :-) Not far from GA👍

Digging deeper I can see the problem, for me anyway, is the COM add in which Outlook is disabling. Looking like a comms / timing issue. I'm on a fast link so not sure what's happening but will try again and report if needed.

Looks like me and my colleagues have the same problem the addon is always listed under slow/inactive addons. Is there a solution for this problem?

Where is that screenshot coming from?  Is the Teams plugin a real thing or is this just a mock-up? I can't find any info about this other than this thread, which is short on specifics. Help??

Hi,

Did you manage to solve this problem?

I also see the add-in as "available", but the New Teams Meeting tile doesn't show up in my ribbon...

Thanks!

No, I believe the add-in got removed for a while but now it's back and still has the same problem, "This add-in caused Outlook to start slowly." It was even in the release notes this time:

Fun with Outlook: Teams will now integrate with Outlook in new and interesting ways thanks to the Outlook plug in. When you head to your Outlook calendar, you'll see a button labeled New Teams Meeting. Click on it, and you'll be able to schedule a Teams meeting from Outlook. You'll also have the ability to update, cancel, or forward Teams meetings from Outlook. All your meetings in Teams will show up in your Outlook calendar (and vice versa), and you'll be able to join your meeting from either app. (As of right now, the Outlook plugin is only available for Windows users. But don't worry! Support for Mac is coming soon.)

Edit; Gone again after restarting Outlook.

UserVoice: https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103-public/suggestions/16958275-teams-meeting-in-outl...

Too bad...

Indeed, the add-in seems to be removed! I don't see it anymore...

Still not seeing it.

I had a similar issue with the missing Add-in and had to leverage the registry from a working computer, steps: http://realtimeuc.com/2017/08/missing-teams-outlook-add-in/. Please make sure to update the DLL paths and versions to match your system.

That is excruciatingly painful! As I asked on your post, why is this such a pain in the butt? And why hasn't Microsoft come out with some guidance directly? Are we a tiny sub-set of users being impacted by this issue?

I'm seeing it in Outlook 2016. I also have the Teams Windwos 10 app, so I wonder if that helps make taht connection at the client level in some way.  Today was the first time I noticed it.

We arent seeing it either, got a call to support on it. 

I've also had it in my same environment for about that long.

Update: I found out our org has blocked the Add-In intentionally while they make the transition away from Skype conference room tech. :(

I have both, still not seeing it.

I'm usually pretty observant when it comes to these kinds of changes but MS is moving so fast and there are so many changes, I'm often left questioning "was 'that' there yesterday?". Anyway, I did a quick search for "new teams meeting outlook ribbon" which brought me to this thread. I do see it on my Win 7 Outlook 2016, with Teams client installed. We just had some updates applied yesterday so that's why I thought it was something new to tweet about :) 

New Teams Meeting - Ribbon.jpg

We've all been there, keeping up-to-date with changes, discovering something and indeed wondering "was that there yesterday?". The Outlook add-in was mentioned in the release notes a while back (in August) but also there are some apparent limitations, in the known issues at least, with a dependency on MFA so it says for the add-in to function.

Related Conversations
Announcing a Microsoft Teams AMA!
Dylan Snodgrass in Microsoft Teams AMA on
9 Replies
Add a member to a channel within a team
Denis Soldatenko in Microsoft Teams on
6 Replies
Adding external users to teams
Catherine CHAZELAS in Microsoft Teams on
46 Replies
Problems loging into Teams!
adam deltinger in Microsoft Teams on
9 Replies
When will desktop sharing be available in Teams?
James Auman in Microsoft Teams AMA on
53 Replies