SOLVED

Member added automatically to team even though removed before

Brass Contributor

A member who was removed from a private team was somehow added automatically to the same private team again. How can that happen? I thought you can only manually add members to a private team. Any ideas?

4 Replies
Make sure that either:

This isn’t a of wide team under ”edit team”
Seems not likely cause you would notice all the users

Also check if it could be possible that you added the person in any other Workplace based on that group like Planner, in outlook etc..?

Also is there any other owners that could have approved a membership request?
best response confirmed by Sancho Leath (Brass Contributor)
Solution

@Sancho Leath look at the Audit records in Azure AD for that group, it should show you why or who added the user.

Thanks @Steven Collier 

This pointed me in the right direction. Looking at the audit log, the user was added "automatically" when a non-member of said Teams group was assigned to an integrated Planner task. Apparently, it is possible to assign non-members to a Planner task within a private Teams group. By doing so, the previous non-member now becomes a member to the Teams group and thus to all private content. Is this a bug or desired behavior? I haven't found away to restrict such an unwanted action that compromises data privacy. There should at least be an alert that notifies the user of the consequences of such an action.

Hi! This is expected behavior and there is also a message saying exactly this will happen when assigning from teams!

I’m not sure this message pops up when in planner though
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Sancho Leath (Brass Contributor)
Solution

@Sancho Leath look at the Audit records in Azure AD for that group, it should show you why or who added the user.

View solution in original post