Making Skype calls to external users from Teams

Copper Contributor

Hi

We have teams enabled in our office 365 business premium package.  We are able to message and make video calls internally.  In the teams and SFB admin centre we have both external and guess access enabled.

However when we search  for external contacts (either by email or skype address), we get a message saying unable to find contact.  We once managed to find a contact by email address but then got a message to say the contact was offline - even though they had skype up and running.

Conversely Skype users are able to find us by email address but are not able to connect.  When they try to make a video call into us, they get a message to say the user is offline.

Help appreciated!

Many thanks

Catherine

8 Replies

Hi,

Make sure you enable External Access in Teams Admin Center.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/let-your-teams-users-communicate-with-other-people

image.png

Thanks Linus. Yes it is enabled (as is guest access) but no joy :(

Do you get the option to search for the external contact? And do you have the same problem from web client teams.microsoft.com?

image.png

@Linus Cansby 

i have same problem. i get this search external for user. but when i press it nothing happens 

@BirgerGJ Are you cloud only or do you have a Skype server environment? What coexistence mode are you running in?

There is an issue with starting new external chats right now, I think they are rolling out v2 federation, but not sure, going to see if I can find out some info on this, but I cannot start any new external chats right now myself either.

Did you find a solution to this @CatherineHawthorne 

We cant find external skype/teams users although external users can call in but are presented as unknown user.  We can set up meetings without issue though via links and scheduling.  Our read receipts don't work either.  Wonder of that's connected? 

@Linus Cansby @BirgerGJ I believe it is all to do with the coexistence mode of your Teams tenant.

We have a similar situation and I can't wait for our users to be able to communicate with skype consumer contacts.  But until we put our tenant in to TeamsOnly mode this will not happen for us.

We also need to point our DNS pointers away from our skype for business provider (our SIP addresses are being used for skype for business in the public DNS).