Limit access to files on Teams - Private Channels workarounds

Copper Contributor

I am looking for a couple of solutions for a Team set up, essentially building workarounds due to lack of private channels.  I was encouraged by the announcement that feature was coming in September, but they have now moved that launch date out to November.  I can't wait any longer.

TEAM SET UP: Team to manage event with internal staff, outside contractors and outside project leads via Owner, member and guest settings

GOALS:

1. Maintain an executive channel with limited access (Currently using chat function) 
  2. Limit access to Finance files (i.e. event budgets) Exploring following options
    1. Password protect each file - Not ideal
    2. Limit access to folder in channel - questions about this
    3. Manage in Chat - not ideal as there will be multiple files/drafts and would all be outside of team site

QUESTIONS:

• Is there a way to limit Sharepoint folder access by person vs by team status (owner, member, guest)
    • My challenge is the project lead is a guest and I essentially need owner access 
  • Is there a better workaround that what I am exploring above

1 Reply
Hi @Nigel Reeves

A couple of ways would be

1.) Amending SharePoint folder permissions via advanced settings - see article here (https://microsoft365pro.co.uk/2019/07/14/teams-real-simple-with-pictures-controlling-who-can-edit-do...) and do this on a role or individual basis to determine what they can do with the documents, or even see the documents. This will work but the downside is that permissions may get hard to control if there are a lot of files.

2.) The traditional way of adding more Teams, the downside being Teams sprawl and having to consolidate them when private channels comes in

None are optimal and are simply workarounds until private channels is in your tenant

Hope that answers your question

Best, Chris