SOLVED

Images uploaded through teams convert to PNG's upon download

Copper Contributor

Hi all,

I'm having an issue on teams, where images uploaded from a mobile phone (.jpg's) download on a computer as .png 's  .  When I open them in Photoshop I get the error that's attached.  I've gone manually through file explorer and renamed the extension on the downloaed image back to .jpg and that solves the problem.  But this is a major issue for my team, as one of our primary uses for teams was to be sending images from phones into chats to be downloaded and edited...  Any tips?

I have tried:

Manually changing the image handing settings in teams to upload full-size images (this does result in a full-size image, but still has a filename change) 

Any advice at all would be greatly appreciated!  Thank You.

29 Replies
best response confirmed by blastoffmax (Copper Contributor)
Solution
That's odd. Seems like a bug to me. I would submit a support ticket.

As a work around, since Teams is attached to SharePoint libraries you can use the OneDrive App to upload your photos. You can quickly take photos as well using the app where you can upload them to a channel folder for access into Teams.
I am a Teacher and I have to download each photo manually. And after downloading I have to change the file extention from .png to .jpg.
I'd really like MS Teams to check for the correct fileextention in the first place.
For me it's bigger issue as a web developer. The file is not "converted" rather than just renamed, thus ending with wrong extension. To fix this I have to rename every single downloaded file accordingly to original name.

I've reported this bug directly to MS Teams developers team through our paid support and their reply was: "It's not a bug, it's defined by design of the app. We recommend to use UserVoice to suggest the change.". I've posted to UserVoice, but I still think it's a bug.

To download jpg images as jpgs right-click the image and choose 'Open in Browser'. Then right-click the image in the browser and choose 'Save Image As…'

Still have to save all images one-by-one.

Having to download all images click by click singly is a royal pain in the butt. Having to convert all faulty PNG's back to JPG's is just a cherry on top. 

This is embarassing, that such a key feature of a work-space App lacks functions that are important to so many of us working with websites, content creation and digital formats. 

And I know that our company pays way too much for this kind of Solution. I recommend to stick with Slack until this problem is solved. It saves more time and time is money.   

For the record, I have the same problem. It's dumb and a waste of time that it renames JPG's with the wrong extension. Don't see why MS says that's not a bug.
fwiw, I definitely agree that this is a bug. But I'm finding that if you go to the incredible annoyance of right clicking the image thumbnail and selecting Open in Browser, it opens in the browser in the correct format with the actual name (instead of MicrosoftTeams-Image) and can be saved that way.

This is still... fully unacceptable in terms of what is expected of the app.
It is still an issue 2.5 years after the original post. How bizarre this isn't addressed for something so simple yet essential to the platform? I guess not many organizations use Teams? maddening.

Just dropped in here looking for some info, like you @hgainer 

I need to send images to my colleagues to upload to our company website and while I send a JPG file they get a PNG, or at least, the image is renamed. This is not a feature, this is a bug!

It's up on uservoice. I encouraged all of my tiny marketing agency office to go upvote it, ha. https://feedbackportal.microsoft.com/feedback/idea/75d92bc6-943d-ec11-a81a-6045bd7bfd04 Feels like all we can do, sadly.

Another workaround (again, this doesn't *resolve* the issue, Microsoft, you just have clever people using your products who find ways to get around their flaws): use the Files tab in your convo/channel. If you download directly from there, files come out with their correct names and file extensions.

Cannot believe how this problem can still exist years later! So, upon downloading an image from Teams that was uploaded as a JPG, Microsoft CHANGE the filename (not the file) to MicrosoftTeams-image.png.......... Have you heard of ANY other modern app doing such a thing? Imagine downloading an image from Slack and it just randomly changed the image?? And this wasn't the case years ago, it downloaded and displayed in Teams as you would expect, and then, in one update, it broke it all. Then they slightly fixed how it displays in the post issue (still crops it off weirdly at times) but it still downloads as MicrosoftTeams-image.png. HOWWWWWWWWW?!?!?

Download multiple files and you get MicrosoftTeams-image (1).png! How is this ok? It creates confusion, it creates errors when colleagues try to use the image in other apps and it wastes time as we have to explain the stupid Microsoft behaviour to their perplexed faces.

Fix the **bleep** bug already!!!!

I was able to keep/save the image as a jpg by downloading it; open the download then go to Share choose Snipping Tool and save it from there. Hope this helps @blastoffmax 

Why would you need to do this "I was able to keep/save the image as a jpg by downloading it; open the download then go to Share choose Snipping Tool and save it from there." You just need to rename the file extension and not re convert a file format. The data in the file is untouched, your solution does not fit the problem. <Right click> rename, don't get the opening between 2 programs

@roja6969 same insane stuff. I upload animated gifs and I thought that somehow on same it convert it as png. But actually just chanching .png to .gif will bring back the animation :D

what a lame bug ahah

I have since discovered, if you DON'T click on the image and enlarge it, you can right click on the thumbnail in the post and select download and it keeps the filename and extension intact. Why this same behaviour can't be afforded to the download button when you click on an image is beyond me.
This is a bug. This is against JPEG and PNG formats, because you cannot have JPEG content inside .png file.
This fails our content-based image validation in our web app, because file content does not meet file extension. This is security issue for us.
Mircosoft, FIX this issue... it's 2023..
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by blastoffmax (Copper Contributor)
Solution
That's odd. Seems like a bug to me. I would submit a support ticket.

As a work around, since Teams is attached to SharePoint libraries you can use the OneDrive App to upload your photos. You can quickly take photos as well using the app where you can upload them to a channel folder for access into Teams.

View solution in original post