SOLVED
Home

How to connect a "Team" to a "Group"

Highlighted
Mike Dumka
Occasional Contributor

How to connect a "Team" to a "Group"

Hi There, 

I have to say there is a bunch of great information in here, but I can't seem to find the one answer I am looking for when trying to connect a "Team" to a "Group". 

In the FAQ there is this information about connecting the 2 ... 

Can I add Microsoft Teams to an existing Office 365 Group?
Yes. When creating a new team in Microsoft Teams, an owner of an existing private Office 365 Group has an option to add Microsoft Teams to that group, instead of creating a new team. Group members can then continue to use their existing SharePoint and OneNote files while using the functionality of Microsoft Teams.

But when I go into the settings for my "Group" there is no option to do this, is there something I am missing?

Thanks

Mike

• Microsoft Teams
36 Replies
Solution

Re: How to connect a "Team" to a "Group"

In Teams, choose to add a team and you'll see an option to add it to an existing private group.

I sometimes see such an option to add an existing group and sometimes I do not. When I do see it, the list of groups is limited. I'm not seeing the full list of groups. Referencing the picture below, I actually have a number of Groups but only one is listed. I was previously able to configure one (_Exec_Staff).

.Only One Group shows up when adding teamsOnly One Group shows up when adding teams

How do I create Teams from existing groups?

Thanks for assistance,

-bs

I have seen this issue as well.

In my case, I am the owner of 4 Private Office 365 Groups. 

When I try to create a Team and choose the "Add Microsoft Teams to an existing O365 Group" option, it only shows 3 of my groups. 

There is one of my private Office 365 Groups that it doesnt show, and hence doesnt give me the option. 

I dont want to create a separate Team as  I understand this in effect creates a new O365 group!

Ed, Let me test a hypothesis. Would it be the case that your Groups that are missing have an odd character in their name? Most of my Groups start with an underscore character so that they alphabetize together. However, I'm thinking that the undercore as the first character may be creating an incompatibility with MS Teams. The Group names that are do transfer to Teams are simple alphanumeric names with no special characters. Does this hypothesis align with your configuration?

If it does, then it may imply that we will need to rename Groups for them to work with Teams. This would be annoying but, I suspect, is a 'preview' limitation that would ultimately get addressed.

-bs

I just wanted to reply to everyone and say thanks! I am just getting my feet wet with O365 and hope to be able to provide some help to others like you just did for me!

Have a great day!

RE: How to connect a "Team" to a "Group"

I see no option for linking a new team to an existing group, not in the thick client and not in the web client. It just asks for the team name and description, then you click next and it creates it.

Re: RE: How to connect a "Team" to a "Group"

I just recreated and proved out my scenario. 

When I did not have a group that I was an owner of, I could not connect a team. When I created a group that I was an owner of, I could connect a team to that group. 

I did all of this through the desktop client. I have attached a screenshot of what shows up when O365 knows you have a group that you can attach.

2016-11-08_15-56-45.png

Test that out and see if it works. 

Bruce -

In my case, the problematic team name is "Dev Team" -- no unusual characters. 

I do use an "&" in the description field, but that shouldn't come into play.

@Mike Dumka 

My understanding is that you must be the Owner of a group, and the group muse be Private in order to have this as an option.

In my case, both of those pre-requisites are true, but for one of my O365 groups it is still not an optoin

@Ed Grochowski Are you the only owner of the group? Or were you the original owner or was it passed on to you?

Also something I found, you can't name your 'Team' the same as your 'Group' so for example if you had a group named 'Superman' and you created a team named 'Superman' the option for you to link the team to a group would not be possible. 

@Mike Dumka

Yes, I am the only owner of this group. I was the original owner as well. 

This is the only group of the 4 that I am the owner of that does not show up in the "Add Microsoft Teams to an existing O365 Group" dialog.   It is frustrating. 

Hi there,

same problem here.

I was able to create a Team for an existing Group in the first days following the launch of Microsoft Teams, but now when I click "Create a team" I'm no longer prompted to connect it to other Groups I own.

I have tried both in the web client (teams.microsoft.com) and the desktop app. I am the only owner of these groups, I was the original owner as well and group names doesn't have strange characters.

Nicolò

On of the other things I noticed, are you trying to name your new 'Team' the same as your existing 'Group'.

That was something that was giving me problems over the weekend as well. 

Thanks

RE: How to connect a "Team" to a "Group"

Hi folks, Steve is correct. Also, the option to create Microsoft Team from an existing Office 365 Group also requires that you are the owner of that Office 365 Groups.

@Elaine Ansell  Can you explain the issue where certain pre-existing O365 groups are not available in the "Add Microsoft Teams to an existing O365 Group" dialog?  Even if one is the sole owner of the group and it is a private group.  Is this a known issue being addressed?

Hi guys,
I have really missed the "private" part in Steven answer: the group for which I was trying to create a team was public, for this reason I couldn’t see it when creating a new team.

Thanks for your help and patience!

Nicolò

PS: take a look at this post, there are some unofficial workarounds that could be helpful to create tems for public groups, and maybe some information may be helpful for further investigating issues.

In case it is helpful to someone on this trail you can change an existing O365 group to private, then create a Team for the group using MS Teams and then change the Group back to being Public again.  This is how we handle our project collaboration sites as we prefer them to be Public Groups, but we want to use MS Teams.

Hi,  Today I have created a new Team from an existing Office 365 group, I have done this successful with other groups previously but this time I can't see any files from the Office 365 group in my new Team.  If I go back to Office 365 I can still see the files there.  I've tried logging out and back in to see if it refreshes, but still the same.  Any suggestions?

@Michelle Stirling - MS Teams stores channel related documents and files in a folder in the Document Librray which is named for the Channel.  The default channel is called 'General' so to see anything in the files tab (on the General channel) in MS Teams you would need to move the documents into the General folder in the SharePoint site for the underlying O365 Group.

Does that make sense? 

How do I connect an existing Office Group (Private) to a existing team site?

Do you mean a 'Team Site' as in a SharePoint Team Site or as in a Microsoft Team?

If its the latter then the option to create a Team for an existing Group (for which you are the owner) will appear when you go to create a Team in the app.

I meant Microsoft Team

You can only do it on creation of the Team.  If you create a new one then you have also created a new O365 Group alongside it.  

You will need to migrate the content of your old Group into the new one - or create a new Team (from the existing Group) and migrate the old Team content into that one, then delete the old one. 

Ok.  I finally figured out why I was unable to create a Team for one of my O365 groups.

In this particular O365 group, I was the owner, but I was not explicitly listed as a Member of the group. 

As soon, as I added myself as a member to the O365 group as well, then when I tried to create a new MS Team from an existing group, I could see and choose it. Yay.

I hope this is helpful information for anyone else who might run into this issue.

I have moved the files to General folder and there are visible in teams. Now the question is how can you integrate the One Note from an O365 group to teams?

There are not very good options for adding an existing OneNote into Teams yet unfortunately. You can either copy/paste everything across, which is certainly not ideal if you have a lot of data. Or you can determine the URL for that OneNote Notebook and add it as a Website Tab.

From here: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Apps-connectors-tabs-and-documents-in-Microsoft-Teams-cc1fb...

MS Teams Help OneNote.PNG

The link method works perfectly I think the MS team is still working out some bugs on thier end.

Hi all,

Thank you for some very enlightning answers and testing.

Perhaps some of you then know how to connect Teams with an existing AD group/mail group?

In my company we would like to use Teams also as a departmental tool and therefore hook it up to the pre-existing mailgroups already in our O365/AD (not to be confused with the O365 Groups and their corresponding mail). But it doesn't seem to be possible.

What happens if we i.e. create a team as Department A and we already have an email/mailbox DepartmentA@xxx.com it creates a new mail DepartmentA1234@xxx.com which then syncronize with our AD and confuses thing for the users when sending a group email.

Anybody has a solution for this?

BR Line

This was very helpful, thank you. Once I added myself as a member, the option to combine the O365 Group into a Team instantly appered. Thanks!

You have described my challenge.  I initially set up Groups but when Teams came out I set up teams for the same groups, now I have two groups for each!    I want to move my emails over to the relevant Group that was set up when I created a Team.   I have manually moved files over.   My goal is to delete the Groups I initially set up.

any help you provide is appreciated!

Hi everyone, I have the same problem connecting O365 groups of which I am the owner to Teams.
I have tried all the recommended actions (ownership, characters etc.) but still no lack.
I am using SPO and still cannot make it work with Teams either browser or desktop.
@Elaine Ansellmaybe you can give us some explanation why this is happening,thanks!

Thank you, Ed. This was the fix I was looking for (Y)

I am having the same issues with one of my groups. This does not appear in the list of groups that I can add Microsoft Teams functionality.

- I am owner and member

- I originally set it up

- It is a private group

- I had a guest and have now removed the guest

Does anyone have any other suggestions before I delete the group and recreate in Teams?

Thanks

Grant

Hi Grant,
what worked out for me after many hours of research, was to recreate the group in Outlook App and then this group becomes visible in the Add Teams Option.
Needless to say, you now have two different groups...
regards

How were you able to add yourself as a member? I am the owner of a private group, I click on Add Member link and when I add myself as new member, it still shows me as owner.

Humera Iqbal wrote:
How were you able to add yourself as a member? I am the owner of a private group, I click on Add Member link and when I add myself as new member, it still shows me as owner.

You can, and often should, be both a Member and an Owner.

Related Conversations
No Assignments Tab in Microsoft Teams
Nick Davies  in  Microsoft Teams  on
23 Replies
Create private channel in a team
Catalin Prata  in  Microsoft Teams  on
25 Replies
Accessing Team Calendar on iPhone
Abbas Jaffar Ali  in  Microsoft Teams  on
8 Replies
Teams Files Backup and Restore
Vivek Desai  in  Microsoft Teams  on