SOLVED
Home

How do you add existing Planners to Teams, or add Teams to an existing planner

Highlighted
Ed Hansberry
Regular Contributor

How do you add existing Planners to Teams, or add Teams to an existing planner

We already have a Planner group with lots of tasks underway, and want to either add that into Teams or add Teams to that Planner, but I cannot figure out how to do that. Any suggestions?

55 Replies

Re: How do you add existing Planners to Teams, or add Teams to an existing planner

I'm assuming you were able to create the team in Microsoft Teams and connect it to the existing O365 Group?  (If not, see instructions at bottom of https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/SharePoint-Blog/SharePoint-and-OneDrive-welcome-Microsoft-Tea...).

Here's my understanding:

• Each CHANNEL can have one or more plans.
  • Currently, during preview, that means that the "default" plan for the group does not appear. New Planner tabs are indeed new plans.
  • Instead, you get a plan for the default channel ("General", in English).  
  • As I understand it, there is currently not a way to address this challenge at this point during preview, unless @Kaushal Mehta (LYNC) or someone else on @Dan Stevenson's team knows something.

Re: How do you add existing Planners to Teams, or add Teams to an existing planner

Yes, it is connected to our Office 365 account. It could see existing Groups to add teams too, and even sees the "Product Launch" group, which is associated with our "Product Launch" Planner, but it wants to create a new Planner, so it must be as the 2nd part of your post suggests - not possible yet.

RE: How do you add existing Planners to Teams, or add Teams to an existing planner

Each channel can have multiple plans. This isn't quite the same planner as the one accessed through groups, for example there is no way to view the graphs, just the boards. Maybe it's something that will develop as we get to the final release.

Re: RE: How do you add existing Planners to Teams, or add Teams to an existing planner

You're right, Steve! I was shorthand in my reply and have updated it.

Re: RE: How do you add existing Planners to Teams, or add Teams to an existing planner

@Steven Collier wrote:
Each channel can have multiple plans. This isn't quite the same planner as the one accessed through groups, for example there is no way to view the graphs, just the boards. Maybe it's something that will develop as we get to the final release.

I'm ok not seeing the graphs, but I cannot even see the boards from the Planner I want to be part of the Team.

I would be ok creatting a new Planner in the Team but Planner has no way to copy or move items between Planners.

What this means for me today is Teams is of limited use unless I am starting an all new project, in which case I can start the Team and a new Planner, but none of our existing stuff can take advantage of Teams. :robotsad:

Same need here. 

Please better integrate "office 365 plans" with "ms teams plans"

thank you,

Roberto

I completely understand that its early stages of Teams and that we can now utilise multiple plans within a team, however a good point has been raised regarding adding existing plans to a team in the same way we can currently add existing Power BI dashboards or sharepoint sites.

Would be nice indeed to be able to add existing planners to a team.

BTW: as far as I can tell, there's no way to add Power BI Dashboards, only reports? This is also quite annoying since the dashboard have a clean layout.

Totally agree that Planner needs to allow copying or moving items between plans (preserving comment history etc whilst doing so).

Seems to me that Planner needs another level in between Planner and Bucket?

Akin to OneNote where
Notebook=Team
Section=Channel

In the same way as team channel files and notes are visible in team's SharePoint site as folders and Notebook sections, I would like the Team planners to be visible in the Planner Hub.

At the moment it seems that:

• a planner board is added in the Planner Hub for the Team but it is empty, i.e does not show the tasks added in the Team :-(
  • the individual tasks assigned in the Teams show in My Tasks in planner, but I cannot the the boards :-(

This is rather confusing, limiting and I hope will be fixed before lauch

RE: How do you add existing Planners to Teams, or add Teams to an existing planner

Thanks, Dan. What you say is correct, Dan. Unfortunately there isn't a way to bring in a pre-existing Planner into Microsoft Teams.

@Elaine Ansell wrote:
Thanks, Dan. What you say is correct, Dan. Unfortunately there isn't a way to bring in a pre-existing Planner into Microsoft Teams.

Need to be developed !

Where are the Planner Task records actually stored?  Are these just records in Outlook objects (as Tasks were)? Or are they in a separate object as Notebooks are?

How this is missing is a little bit beyond me.

This effectively makes Microsoft Teams useless for groups that want to manage their tasks through planner.

Microsoft needs to fix this today!

By the way, this topic should not be marked "Solved". It is very misleading, reading all the way to the end to find out  that it is not even possible.

It should be marked as "Bug Report not resolved" or "Product Functionality missing"

We're working on it :)

Excellent @Dave Heller! Looking forward to it. I'll be equally excited to add existing planners to Teams, as well as get full Planner functionality in the Teams planner, like linking and attaching files.

You may be interested to read @Dave Heller's most recent article in the Teams blog here: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Microsoft-Teams-Blog/Our-Vision-for-Planner-in-Microsoft-Team...

Also the Planner team just launched their new blog this week here in the Tech Community.  I would recommend you subscribe to the blog to stay connected to the latest news on all things Planner: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Planner-Blog/bg-p/PlannerBlog

Agree with Michael...

This is really unusable as is.  We want one team who have multiple plans.  It's just that simple.  I think there is a risk of over-complicating the solution and not getting anything.  The harder it is to do, the more likely it will drop down the priority list at MS.

eg, I think the need for a hierarchy of plans is a little too complex at this stage. MS-Planner is a simple tool, and it's great for that.

But we do need a solution for the creation of a O365 group every time a plan is created - it's just not usable.

My suggestion is to allow multiple plans per group, and also allow a plan to be attached to an existing group.  

So use case would be:  I create a plan, Planner asks me if i want to create a new group or add to an existing group.

I think that would be pretty simple to implement, and also make life a lot better for all folks here!

Pete

One idea is to make it similar to the OneNote Notebook > Section > Page hierarchy 

Hi, is there any update on this please @Dave Heller?

No update quite yet!

How about now? We've got a very full planner that we'd like to roll into a team.

Right now a user of mine showed my a plan created months ago directly from https://tasks.office.com without a Office 365 group.

Now they create a Team and trying to add that "orphan" plan to a channel in the new team... no way to do this operation right now?

Thanks for any idea

Carlo

That's the ticket! Hadn't thought of creating a team from the existing group.

Now, how do we change the planner view grouping from "By Bucket" to "By Assigned To"?

@Dave Heller, not really my case: I have plan WITHOUT any O365 Group (in Outlook the user that created the plan has no groups showed)!

And I have a Team created after the plan: how to match????

Great progress @Dave Heller  This has worked for me for a plan that I previously created as part of an O365 group.  

Its a great start, few more things to add to get planner really well integrated...I think the next for me is to allow multiple plans for an O365 group, rather than creating a new group every time you need a new plan....

Pete

That's an irregular behavior - especially since there is no out of the box way to create a plan from the Outlook client. When you create a plan (outside of Teams), the first action that happens is an O365 Group is created.

I would follow up with support to figure out the answer there!

It's something we will work on this year - as of now you can have multiple plans within Teams.

This should not be possible. There is either something broken, or there is some confusion about what you have and what things are called. Can you show us a screenshot of what you're referring to to give us a better look?

Hey,

When you add a New planner Tab in your Microsoft Teams Channel, It's actually add fragmented planner as a result you don't get your existing plans in your channel.

I have seen some tutorials of adding existing planner in your channel but it didn't work for me at all. So, I found one diffrent way to add my existing o365 planner in Teams channel. I am sharing the steps.

1. Open your group planner in web browser and copy the link from address bar.

2. Open your teams channel in which you want to add a planner. click on + symbol to add new tab - Scroll down and select website.

3. Paste planner's link in website address and add new tab.

You will get your existing Planner in tabs.

This worked! Why is MSFT not talking about this?
Solution

Ok, but the answer is not complete. In my case there is no way to have the "orphan" plan in the dialog:

"Right now a user of mine showed my a plan created months ago directly from https://tasks.office.com without a Office 365 group.

Now they create a Team and trying to add that "orphan" plan to a channel in the new team... no way to do this operation right now?"

I only see one plan in Teams when I add a tab [Planner - Use and Existing Plan] Your example video shows two plans. Do the plans need to be created a certain way for them to show up?

You need to be the group owner/admin to have the plans show up in that dropdown.

Any progress on this front?  Office won the Suite wars because of integration.  This seems like an important part of Office365's integration.

@Darcy Vaughan wrote:

Any progress on this front?  Office won the Suite wars because of integration.  This seems like an important part of Office365's integration.

In what way? Planners created on their own are Groups, and when you create a new team now, if you are an admin, you can see existing groups and make the team incorporate the group. This has been the case for several months. What scenario are you addressing?

The problem I see is that when I add a planner tab to a Team channel, and choose to create a new plan, that plan does not show up in my planner list of plans. In teams I can click the link to the plan from the channel tab and have it open in planner, but the name of the plan is not the same, instead it's just the team name. Also, I can only get to the newly created plan through the planner tab in the channel, and the link on that tab... I'd expect it to show up in my list of plans in planner. Moreover, if I click on the team name in my planner plans list, nothing about the newly created plan is shown (granted I do see the task is assigned to me in the My Tasks section).

in the planner URL I see a GroupID and PlanID parameters, but that hirerarchy is not exposed in the planner interface. WTF is going on? Sounds like the Planner and Teams integration was an afterthought and not properly designed since Planner makes groups for each Plan and Teams makes groups for each team (not for each channel; even though planner plans get associated with channels -- UGH!).

Am I making any sense? Am I missing something? Does anyone have a good solution for associating channels to plans and having that plan show up in planner under my list of plans?

You are making sense, unfortunately. Planners created on their own are a full group and show up in the Planner interface at tasks.office.com. You can make them a team though by creating a Team then incorporating that group (planner) at team creation. Assuming you are owner of the planner.

When you create a planner tab within a team though, it is not its own group, just an object/page/something in the Team group. That is actually better as you can have multiple planners per team in this way.

IMHO, it is a bug that when you go to tasks.office.com that Team planners you have access to do not show up. however, if you go to https://tasks.office.com/tenantname/EN-US/Home/MyTasks (the EN-US would be different too if in another country) you will see all of your tasks assigned to you in one place, regardless of whether or not it it is a "full" planner or a Team planner.

I think MS is working on this. I swear a few weeks ago I could click on the "show in web" square icon with arrow in Teams for a planner and it would open the planner in my browser, but today, it takes me to the generic https://tasks.office.com/tenantname/en-US/Home/ProjectsList/ URL where Team planners aren't showing up.

I am hoping soon that URL will show all of my planners. But not today.

All, FYI, if you find a task assigned to you in the "My Tasks" section of the Planner Web App that belongs to a secondary (or terciary) plan added to Teams and you click on the link that says "New task [TASK NAME] created by", it will send you to that Planner in the Planner Web App, although with the Team name, not the Planner tab name... It is really looking like a bug that Microsoft will address anytime soon... Both the name and the lack of a direct link to open the plan in the Web App.

Hi folks,

I have watched the video and read the responses but I am still unable to attach an existing Planner to a new Team. The button to "Use existing plan" does not come up.

I am having the same problem...the only option for me is to crate a new planner.

I worked it out eventually. The 0365 Group (found by going through People) needed to be connected. Once I did that I was able to make the connection.

Trying to do this as well. I found the two groups going through People, but how do you get them connected?

My issue is that I'm trying to add an existing plan to a Teams Channel, but the plans that show are the main Team plan and a random one.  How do I connect the plan that I made specifically to go with this channel?  Thanks

Related Conversations
Auto-Add new employees
Mathias Koprek in Microsoft Teams on
9 Replies
Linking OneDrive to New Microsoft Teams Channel
Kelly Charlton in Microsoft Teams on
4 Replies
Adding an Existing OneNote notebook to Teams
CC Adeyemo in Microsoft Teams on
18 Replies