Home

How can I @mention in Team using a list from Excel or Word?

Amber_Hedges
Occasional Visitor

I have a user wanting to upload a list of names to @ mention. The user wants to @ mention a certain group of people within the team.  Can she upload a list from Excel or Word or does she have to type each name in?

3 Replies
Hi Amber

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/use-mentions-to-get-someone-s-attention-in-teams-eb4f059d-3...

As defined by the article you can @ mention a whole team or @ channel for everyone that favourited that channel and follows it. So if all the users followed a particular channel you could just use that as opposed to typing them all in. You could create a channel for them to workaround.

Otherwise if it’s just a subsection of the team then you would need to add them. Could cut and paste in the mention format to save time.

There is also a uservoice to get this functionality here
https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103-public/suggestions/33571789-create-alias-mention-...

Hope this answers your question.

Best, Chris

Agree with Chris here. However: "As defined by the article you can @ mention a whole team or @ channel for everyone following that favorited that channel."

But if we want to get technical, following works too, because you have to favorite a channel to follow it lol! 

Anyway, there isn't an easy way to quickly mention a subset of people, what I do, create a channel, then in that channel I will mention that group of people I want paying attention to the channel individually and tell them to favorite the channel for future communications for x purpose. This was I can then use @channel mention going forward for that group. 

In the future they are working on the channel roster for channels so we will once again be able to see who has a channel as a favorite, or basically joined the channel. I really wish they would change the naming to Joined instead, just makes more sense. 

It seems like a rather unusual requirement, why do they have a really long list of people to @ mention?

Perhaps it would be better to have a channel that people interested in this type pf message can follow, so rather than your colleague choosing people to receive the content, the people choose to want that. It's one of the differences between email and Teams, individuals in Teams decide what they want to see and be notified for, rather than the sender.

Related Conversations