SOLVED

Disable Create/Edit Teams Sites BUT allow owner to manage members?

Copper Contributor

Hi guys,

I appreciate there's a few threads on how to disable the create/edit options within Teams; however, I've not come across an answer for the caveat of still allowing team owners to manage the members of a team.
So what I wanted to know is, if a team site/group is created and has an owner assigned, is it possible to restrict the owner from creating new teams and restricting them from editing team names
AND, at the same time, (if the team owner can be blocked from creating/editing the team) is it possible to still allow the owner to manage the team membership (i.e. add new / remove members of a team)?

The reason for this is that we would like to have some governance around Teams site creation so we plan on implementing an approval process for new Teams sites being created. We need to stop owners creating their own teams and also stop them from renaming teams. However, we don't want to restrict the memberships to each team and we don't have the resource to manage memberships of teams centrally. So we would like the owners of the team to still maintain this capability.

Is this possible within Teams in it's current guise?

Regards,

Shuja Ahmad (Data Architect - University Of Birmingham)

7 Replies
Being an owner of a Team/ group will permit them to both alter the Team name and memberships! Although, name changes from Teams doesn’t have much more impact than the display names!
What you can do if alteration is a no go, is to only have an Admin person as owner in each team! All members will be able to request membership that the owner have to approve ( we are talking private teams )
Still suggest the first option though!

Regarding teams creation this can be governed by restricting office 365 group creation. This has nothing to do really with being an owner of a team already!
You can have a teams creation workflow which creates teams and assign owners! If those or any other user isn’t specifically allowed to create a team/ group - they can’t!

https://docs.microsoft.com/en/office365/admin/create-groups/manage-creation-of-groups?view=o365-worl...

Thanks@adam deltinger 

So if I use the method you suggested to disable create group option for O365 (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/office365/admin/create-groups/manage-creation-of-groups?view=o365-w...), would a team Owner still have the option to manage the membership to that team (even if he/she is restricted in creating a new team/group)?

For example: Team Site 'Finance' is created by an admin. John Smith is assigned as a Team owner. He does not have create or edit rights because the create office 365 groups option has been restricted. Would John Smith still be able to add/remove members to the 'Finance' Team's site or would this need to go up to the admin to manage the members?

Regards,

Shuja

best response confirmed by ShujaAhmad81 (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Hi! Being able to create teams and have edit rights as an owner including managing memberships is 2 different thing!
So yes, the owner will not be able to create new Teams but will be able to edit and manage membership in the team in which he/she is owner of
Thanks Adam. That's really useful and answers the question.

@adam deltingerI have one other caveat that I wanted to clarify. You mentioned that being able to create teams and edit rights are 2 different things. Does that mean an owner who is restricted from creating a Team Site/Group can still edit the name of a Team Site/Group (as well as managing the site/group membership)?

If yes, is there a way from stopping users/owners from editing a Team Site Name without taking away their right to manage members? We would have an approval process in place so once a name has been approved, we don't want owners to modify this and breach naming conventions. 

No there isn’t any way of having an owner doing membership and edits! That’s the purpose of the owner. In that case I gave a scenario where only an admin is owner

Hi Shuja,

This is exactly what we do at ProvisionPoint.  We allow you to implement approval processes for the creation of Teams but not restrict the Owner once the Team is created.  We also allow you to implement consistent naming conventions on Teams.

Take a look and we would be happy to arrange a demo to you https://www.provisionpoint.com/provision-microsoft-teams/

Thanks

Peter

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by ShujaAhmad81 (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Hi! Being able to create teams and have edit rights as an owner including managing memberships is 2 different thing!
So yes, the owner will not be able to create new Teams but will be able to edit and manage membership in the team in which he/she is owner of

View solution in original post