SOLVED

Different Channel Permission under same group

Copper Contributor

Hi All,

I don't know if anyone have asked this question already, but I couldn't find related answer.

So as my organization is going to implement Teams, I'm trying to see if under one big group, different channels can have different user permission?

For example, in group A I have A, B, C, D, E, F, G members. Under Group A, I have 3 channels. Channel 1 I want only A, B, D has access. Channel 2 I want everyone has access,. And Channel 3 I want only A, B, C, E has access.

How does this work in Teams?

3 Replies
best response confirmed by VI_Migration (Silver Contributor)
Solution
Private Channels is probably what you are looking for. But this is still a roadmap item and not released.

https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103-public/suggestions/16911079-support-for-private-c...
Yeah, as for today, this is not possible! You might change the file permissions in sharepoint for each folder(channel) but is not recommended! Although other workloads like channel messages, planner, onenote etc isn’t affected by this!

As said, private channels are to be released this year, but exactly how it works I do not know, but most likely it may cover some of your scenario!!

For now you have to utilize different Teams to set different permissions instead of channels! If you are good with explicit permissions on files, I recommend creating different libraries with different permissions and add them as a SP library tab in Teams! Also avoiding messing with the Teams default permissions!

Adam

Thank you for all your answers!

Guess I'll have to wait till private channel function comes out in order to do that..

It's not just the file permission... they are more concern on the chat information... 

they don't want people who are not involved in the project to see..

Also.. most people in my organization don't know how to change file permission.......*sob*

sigh....I guess I'll have to find a way to work on this..

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by VI_Migration (Silver Contributor)
Solution
Private Channels is probably what you are looking for. But this is still a roadmap item and not released.

https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103-public/suggestions/16911079-support-for-private-c...

View solution in original post