SOLVED

Differences between Dynamic Office 365 Group and Org-Wide Team

Brass Contributor

We don't have the org-wide Team showing up for us yet, but it looks like we can get the same functionality by creating a Team based on a Dynamic Office 365 Group. We have the proper licenses for this, so is there really any other difference between the two? It seems like we should always use a dynamic group because we get more control of the people in the group. I just want to make sure I am not losing some key functionality if we go down the dynamic group path. Thanks. 

4 Replies

Yup, if you want actual control, use a Dynamic group. The org-wide team sounds nice on paper, but after gazillion issues we ended up removing it from our production tenant.

best response confirmed by Christopher Hoard (MVP)
Solution
Agree with Vasil, I would use Dynamic as well and utilize the Company field, since all my actual Org users use the same name there across the board, and guest / contractors do not. But you can def. utilize up to 5 rules there to include what you need.

BUT, the one big difference here is one requires P1 licenses for your users, the other does not. So this is pretty big if you don't have the license :).

@Vasil Michev  thanks for the reply. Sounds like going with the dynamic group is the best bet. 

Yup we have the licenses. I was thinking of using the Company or Department field as filters as well.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Christopher Hoard (MVP)
Solution
Agree with Vasil, I would use Dynamic as well and utilize the Company field, since all my actual Org users use the same name there across the board, and guest / contractors do not. But you can def. utilize up to 5 rules there to include what you need.

BUT, the one big difference here is one requires P1 licenses for your users, the other does not. So this is pretty big if you don't have the license :).

View solution in original post