Communicating across entire Teams groups

Copper Contributor
Can an entire group be sent a message from a separate group within teams? My company has many Teams groups already (ie department teams), but we want to communicate in one chat group with an entire different department or chat group when a question regards that department. Instead of @ing a specific person from that department. Is this possible within Teams?

Thanks for any help.
Evan
3 Replies
No, You can’t send messages Across teams! There will be a cross channel posting feature but you would still need to be part of each team in order to post there!
What many do is set up a team for everyone ( possibly org-wide team ) and create channels for each department! Make the correct people show their channel so they get notified when you @mention their channel!

You can also use group chats with people from different department where you can communicate amongst the departments! It’s not a everyone in a team to everyone in the other team solution but it might work

@EvanMetag 

Yeah, pretty much the only way to do this is as @adam deltinger said to have a common Team among them and have channels for each department that can be @channel mentioned. The downside to this, is it's open to everyone in the Team, so yo would see these conversations, assuming security isn't an issue this may work fine, but if things are confidential in any way it makes it a big more complicated.

Ideally Shared channels like Slack has would work best in this scenario and one I hope Microsoft can get implemented some day. Where you can have a common channel shared between two teams, which would bridge this gap.

Another feature coming to Teams in the near future and I hope we see more of it at Ignite is Targeted Messages. You could utilize this feature to basically create groups of people and use @groupofpeople to mention those individuals, so you could define who is in what department, office, field workers, cashiers etc. and then utilize those groupings to target communications.

Sometimes e-mail (ugh I know)  still works in certain scenarios better for the time being as well. I'm sure some dev's could create Apps to handle Shared channel scenario and surprised no one has created one yet since I've seen some apps that sync Slack and Teams messages between two Teams. This same thing could be utilized (probably minus threading). 

Anyway, my 2 cents :)

Here is that product I was talking about that does the cross platform chat, if only it did Team to Team and was a bit cheaper :P. But it just utilizes webhooks in some way, shouldn't be that hard to figure it out.

https://m.io/pricing